Chapter 3

<The Incident>

I was sitting on the couch, reading my email on my phone when Daphane came down the stairs shouting "Ellie, get out of the house Now!" She dragged me up forcefully and pushed me out even before I got the chance to grabbed my sweater. I heard a click and that means that Daphane had locked me out. The chilly wind blew by and a chill ran down my spine, sending goosebumps on my skin. I only managed to take my phone with me and I was wearing a tank top with skinny jeans, plus the night was chilly. I'm bound to catch a cold. I sighed.

She always chased me out whenever she wanted the house to host a party for her friends. I was glad that my boot heels was being placed outside by me the other day while I was rushing to get to work. I kicked a stone that was laying on our pouch before walking to the park near my house and shivered a little when the cold wind blew my long hair across my face. Goosebumps were forming and I rubbed my forearm, keeping myself warm a little. I sat down on the bench and sighed, looking up, I saw stars shining brightly. Using my long hair as a pillow, I lie down on the bench. Being numb to the cold wind, My eyes are dropping down and I looked at my phone, it was 11.30 pm and Daphane would party the whole night. I was so tired that I was willing to take the risk of being kidnapped and slept in a park. I snuggled a little to make myself comfortable and soon I was asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stirred slightly and I felt warmth throughout my whole body. It felt as if I was under a blanket and the smell of aftershave from the clothing that was covering me filled my nose. Regaining conscious, I realised that I didn't brought a blanket with me and my brain was panicking. Did I really just got myself kidnapped? I rubbed my eyes a few times and felt someone holding onto my legs. I sat up immediately which sent a few statics and dizziness to my head. I let out a breath to see that I am still in the park and my vision came into focus again, this time, I saw Ethan smiling at me, his hands slipping from me and on the bench we were sitting on. I realise he had given me his thicker jacket to wear.

Combing my long hair away from my face, hoping that I look decent, "Why are you here, Ethan?" I asked slowly. He watched me ran my fingers into my hair in an attempt to comb before saying "I couldn't leave a girl alone in a park full of crimes. Could I?" with a hinted of seriousness in his voice. Was he avoiding my question? Just how did he found me here? For a newcomer to town like him, he sure knew how to navigate around this town. Was he attempting to kidnap me? "Don't worry, I can take care of myself. you haven't answered my question, What are YOU doing here." I turned and stared into his green eyes while he just smile. His smile always made my heart skipped a beat. Why did he always have that smile on him.

I narrowed my eyes at him, ignoring the blush that was slowly creeping up my face as he continued to smile, which I found it a little disturbing. He turned away from me after awhile and said "I was on my way home and I saw a body laying here, so I came to check and that was when I saw you." and I nodded, sounds logical enough, but that could meant that Ethan live around this neighbourhood. So he didn't stalked me like I thought he did and he seemed like a decent guy. But sometimes we could never be too sure of someone else's appearances. I looked at my phone and it was only 1am. I slept for about 2 hours? And did he just sat there and watched me slept the whole time? That was somehow creepy. I must have looked messed up with the wind so strong. But Ethan stayed with me throughout this 2 hours..... or did he not? The night was still long and I wanted to go home.

Sensing that I wasn't going to say anything, Ethan shifted a little closer to me, his body heat was radiating even when I had his jacket around me. "So, Why are you sleeping here?" He asked me. I looked away and bit my lower lip a little, considering whether or not to tell him the truth but he was nobody and we've only met a week ago. Wasn't that a little risky and it's not like me to confide into others except Mabel and Max. Deciding to just plant a story with a little truth, I said "Urm..... I was being chased out of the house." through clenched teeth. It was part of the truth, Daphane did chased me out of the house. The other half..... well, for partying use of course, but I couldn't said it out loud. From the side glances I threw his way, I saw him nodding. Maybe he did bought my story. "For a smart and pretty girl like you, that was unexpected." He said and stared into the night sky. Smart!? How did he knew I was smart? Maybe a wild guess? Maybe it was my vibe that I radiated to people? I was about to ask what made him think that way, "What did you do? Rebel?" he asked silently before leaning back, and that was the question I dread.