Chapter 4

<Half Truth>

I spent the whole day in my garden library studying and crying. It's not like anyone in class would miss me. Nobody would notice that I am gone. Maybe the principal would call my parents but they wouldn't care, or mum would probably give me a nagging when she came back home from her trip with dad. Or maybe she would be happy that I was isolating myself. I put on sunglasses to hide my red and puffed eyes, (so much for being strong). Betty's trying to cheer me up but failed. I am grateful of her presence but I wished that I was alone. All the while I was here, my phone vibrated for a while and I bet it was Maybel or Max. They had wanted to find me at my garden but I told them I was at home.

The school bell rang loudly in the empty and silent library, signalling the end of break and I sat on the floor beside Betty. I hugged her tightly and sighed while she just lie there, happy that I did that. A tear slitted down my eyes and I wiped it away, mentally noting that I shouldn't cry because I am a strong girl. Soon, tears poured out and I started crying silently. "Ellie? Are you here Ellie?" Betty ears perked up and she moved a little but never left me. The voice outside the door was so familiar, where had I heard it before? And the realisation hit me, it was Ethan's. Oh god, why did he had to come at this time? My eyes were red and puffed like a goldfish. I sniffed and wiped off the tears, trying hard to remove evidence of me crying, but Betty's fur had a patch of wetness from my tears. Still not answering him, I heard "Ellie, I'm coming in." I continued to stay where I was lying, unmoving. In the first place I wasn't even planning to move. I heard the door squeaked as he opened and Betty moved slightly but she didn't get up. Good girl. She knew better than to leave me in the cold floor. I like her warm fur. I heard footsteps on the marble tiles coming towards me and his beautiful soft voice spoke "Ellie, where have you been?" So soft that I might break if he was to touch me. I sat up but didn't spoke or turned, glad that the tears had stopped but were threatening to spill. Betty went up to a sitting position facing me and wagging her tail, waiting for Ethan or me to play with her. I closed my eyes behind the pair of sunglasses and I felt him walking round Betty to see me.

"What happened?" he asked me softly, I opened my eyes and blinked a little, seeing that he had kneeled down beside me as Betty was in front of me, pushing her nose onto my face and comforting me with her licks. Ethan hands tried to lift the sunglasses off my eyes. Instinctively, my hands flew to his and stopped them. "Nothing." I lied and my voice cracked a little, I looked at him through my sunglasses. I saw him frowning after letting go of my sunglasses and he shifted himself in front of me before sitting down because Betty had moved away, chasing a butterfly that flew past before running back to us. She was now standing beside Ethan, wagging her tail at me and sticking her tongue out.

He sighed and held my face towards him, his smooth fingers sent chills and electricity all over my body and his soft yet firm voice said "Ellie, talk to me. Trust me." He stretch the "trust me" and that's all it takes to made my tears gate opened. Tears gushed out and he took off my sunglasses, pulling me towards his chest which caused me to crash straight into his lap and arms. He hugged me firmly and at the same time softly that I am afraid I might break. Betty giving a light bark.

I sniffed and took a deep breath. "I-I-" before I could finished my sentence, tears continued to spill and my cries turned into a sob. He didn't said a single word, just stroking my light brown hair and hugging me in his arms. Hug me like a baby in need of love and his hug was so nice that I thought I would stay in here forever. I slowed my breathing and sniffled before pushing him away a little and sitting straight up. My own puffy and red eyes stared into his soft green eyes. He returned my stared and nodded slowly. A sign that I should tell him what happen.

Wiping off one last tear that hung itself on my lashes, I whispered "I'm tired. Mentally tired." and looked away. Not knowing whether or not to continue telling him. It was a big step I had to take. Never had I taken this step before to an outsider. Sensing I wasn't going to continue, he prode, "About your family?" This made me turned to looked at him. Making me wonder how did he knew about what I'm stressing about. Was it all so obvious? I mustered all my courage and gave a slight nod. Knowing that he would continue asking if I wasn't planning to say and he smiled a little.