Chapter 9

<Seeking facts>

I need to talk to mum. I need to talk to Daphane. I need to talk to dad. I couldn't believe what I just heard from Queen Nina. "It's time to crown the princess?" what did it meant? I couldn't just leave my family - Daphane and parents- just like that. They might treated me like a maid but they provided me with a shelter over my head. And because of one photo Queen Nina said that I'm her daughter? Didn't that sound ridiculous?

"Daphane, where are you?" I called out to the quiet house. No answered. I managed to get Ethan to fetch me to my house and he wanted to follow me in but I said that I needed to do this alone. He was resistant at first but he just sighed and allowed me to go back alone. I watched him drove off before stepping in.

"Mom? Dad? Are you home?" I called again. No answered. There was no point calling actually because mom and dad would never be at home. I walked up the stairs to Daphane room, half expecting to see half naked boys on her bed but it was empty. I opened my parents bedroom door, thinking that Daphane could have slept in it because she missed mom. But it turned out empty also. Where have they been? Suddenly, it came upon me.

"God, please answer the phone." I said as I dialled the numbers and held my cell phone to my ears. It rang and rang but nobody answered. Arggg~ when I need them, where were they? I want the truth today. And they're probably somewhere in Europe doing business while Daphane was playing around in Europe. I slammed the coffee table and let out a sigh of frustration while I let my phone dial Daphane's number.

"Ellie? I can't hear you." Daphane voice came on the line and it was bad connection because it was all fuzzy and weird. Great. No reception in whatever place they're in. But at least Daphane answered my phone and was not nasty. "Where are you?" I shouted into the phone. Getting more impatient as the seconds ticked. Daphane did not answer back and I figured it could be due to the low connection.

"What?.... I.....hear.......you....." the line went dead. Just like that. My phone hung up and it went back to home page. "Daphane! Daphane!" I shouted into the Phone and hit the table top. This was getting on my nerves and I couldn't bear the frustration anymore. I just want to know the truth. Was it so hard to know the truth!? After 16 years? I was trying to calm myself down by breathing deeply when the doorbell rang. Who was it now?

"Ellie!" Maybell jumped on me and hugged me the moment I opened the door. Which I nearly fell backwards because she almost pushed me down with her. But I was so relieve to see my best friend again. I sighed loudly. She let me out of her hug and I closed the door. Somehow she showed up when I needed her the most. Where could I find another best friend like her.

"What's wrong?" she asked me when we entered the living room. Maybel was already resting on the couch and staring at me with concern. I have to talk to somebody, and Maybel had to be the only one since she's my best friend. I ignored her a while and went into the kitchen to pour her tea. I carried two cups of tea into the living room and sat opposite her.

"Where's Max?" I asked. I needed the courage to say what I was worrying about and talking about something else would be the best. I wanted it to come out as natural as possible and Maybel would understand. She would surely understand right?

"He's busy. So I came to see you, since I didn't see you in school today. What's up?" she asked me and stared at me. I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat. Those tears and mixed feelings are trying to surface but I had to pushed it back down because I couldn't afford it to burst. I inhaled a deep breathe to calm myself down and looked at my best friend.

"Maybel.... Promise me you wouldn't freak out." I said. She seems a little scared at first but she just nodded slowly and smile at me. I could see in her eyes that she was concern. I sipped a mouthful of tea and placed it down. The silence was deafening. "So.... Today, Ethan told me he's a Prince and I went to his palace. After that, his mum's best friend told me that I'm her daughter." I had summarise everything that had happened to me today except mentioning about Erica and I think it was enough information for Maybel. I paused, looking at her and waiting for her reaction.

It took her a while to click everything together in her head. She looked at me with wide eye and her jaw dropped, her eyes wild and curious, trying to absorb whatever I told her. That was when I knew she had something figured out. "Oh.My.Gosh!" she breathe out slowly. I nodded and she blinked. "Ellie! That's so great!!" she was practically trying to contain her excitement but I could felt it bursting if I poked it. But I just looked at her, unable to comprehen what I just heard. Did my best friend said it was great? The girl in front of me said IT WAS GREAT?! What was wrong with her? I frowned. She sensed it and she stopped getting all excited.

"Ellie, don't you get it? You are Gardina's princess. Or Gardina's distant princess. Or another country princess. I don't care which." I raised my eyebrow at her but she gave me a look that says are you stupid or what? I shook my head to show her that I did not understand what she was saying. Because I really did not understand and why would it be great!?

"See, being a princess means that you get to escape from this family. Run away from this shi*ty family." Maybel continued after seeing that I have no idea what she said. I could imagined her being a better princess than me and that she could probably rule a country. I had too many fears and uncertainty, what if this and that.

"But... But I can't just leave them and go there." I told Maybel. Somehow I got what she was trying to say. It could be a free getaway ticket to royalty. It meant that I did not need to work like Cinderella and getting all excited for a ball. Now it was the ball came to me. Maybel's practically telling me that it's a once in a lifetime change. That I should just grab it and fly.

"No buts Ellie. No buts. You just have to pack and leave this house for good. I don't want you to suffer." Maybel said silently and sighed. She wanted to continue saying something but the phone rang loudly making the both of us jumped slightly. Which Maybel let out a short laugh to ease the tension. Even though she never showed it, she was as tensed as me and she was worried about me because she was fidgeting.

"Ellie. Daphane said you called." mom voice came on the phone. Finally. Good connection and no more cutting off. So Daphane told her I called. I guess she was decent enough to be my younger sister. I thought she had hated me till she didn't wanted Mom to call me. Or maybe she thought I was dying and decided not to tell anybody. At least she had some sense in her to get mom to contact me.

"Mom..." I haven't complete my sentence but she cut me off with "Ellie, we've got no time for you. Do your own things. And... Oh my god! Daphane are you okay?" mom screamed and she hung up. I have yet to say what I wanted to and she hung up. I sighed and placed the receiver back. Guess I would not be having the truth today.

"See. They don't even want to talk to you." Maybel said, stating the fact. Even though she knew it would hurt me, she decided to be frank. That was probably what I needed since I had been thinking about it. She knew me long enough to know that I am someone who wants honest replies and not coating of words.

I was glad she said that but I felt a pang in my heart and I bit my lips preventing tears from flowing. Maybel was right. They didn't even treated me as their daughter the past 16 years. So why was I so reluctant to leave? I should just leave this Place and live with Queen Nina, since she said she owe me a favour. I could be a swan in a pond full of ducks. I could show the world who I really am and not be someone normal. But that wasn't who I am and I would never turned my back against people who watched me grew. Why would life be so cruel to me? I didn't deserve this. I had always been nice and good to everyone, even when people hurt me, I forgive them and let it go. Was this fate's way of playing a prank on me for those times where I rebelled against mom?

"Aww, don't cry Ellie. I know it's hard but I'll support you no matter what." I hadn't realise tears are flowing and Maybel wrapped herself around me. Her warmth calming me but my tears could not stop. For the second time in my life, I cried out loud and all she did was to be there for me just like how Ethan had when I was at my lowest. I felt safe in her arms as though she was the older one. (I'm a month older than Maybel and Max). I'm thankful for people like her around me.

"Thanks Maybel." I said after I finished crying and her shoulders are wet from my tears. I cleaned it up and she gave my head a light pat, giving me a warm smile like how a mother would when her child did something right.