Girls vs. Boys (16) - Prom, eh, Jordan?

April 18th, 2008

It was dark; really dark. I liked it. I liked being surrounded by this darkness, even though it was still light outside. I was just under my covers, but it was so much more comforting than all the sunlight outside.

It hadn’t felt like I had moved in years. My whole body felt stiff, but it wasn’t like I was about to move a muscle. It was uncomfortable, but I kind of liked it. I knew that once I got to moving again, stretching would make me feel a whole lot better than I did right then.

I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, but I couldn’t tell who they belonged to. It could have been my mom or dad, or it even could have been Austin. It could have been some burglar or killer and I wouldn’t have known. And right then, I wouldn’t have really cared either.

There was a knock at my bedroom door, but I didn’t move or even make a sound to acknowledge that I had heard it.

“Jordan,” the familiar voice of my brother said from the other side, but I still didn’t make a sound. I didn’t even move. I just wanted my covers to swallow me whole and never let me out of my bed ever again. “I’m coming in, Jordan.”

I didn’t stop him, because I knew there was no point in doing so. He was older and stronger, so it wasn’t like I could hold the door shut. He would have just taken me down without even having to try.

“Go away,” I groaned, not even looking up from my pillow.

“So you come home bawling yesterday, refuse to go to school this morning, and then Dallas asks me if you’re okay but refuses to tell me why he was asking. Is there something that you need to tell me?” he asked, and I could see him crossing his arms out of the corner of my eye.

“No,” I denied, still not looking at him.

“Jordan.”

I didn’t want to have to tell my brother what had happened the day before. It was disastrous and embarrassing. I didn’t want to think about it ever again. Not only had I broken up Dallas and Trinity, but I probably lost Dallas forever. And all because of Jesse.

“Does this have something to do with Dallas and Trinity breaking up?” Austin now guessed, and I wanted to tell him that he was getting warmer. “Dallas wouldn’t tell me why they broke up, but he just said that Trinity broke up with him at the mall. That really sucks considering his prom’s tomorrow…”

And it was all my fault. I had to tell Lexi what Dallas had done while he was drunk without checking who was around us. If I had, I would have seen Jesse and I wouldn’t have said anything to Lexi until I knew he couldn’t hear us anymore. I had been careless and now all hell had broken loose.

“Go away,” I repeated, really no in the mood to talk to him right then. Or ever, for that matter.

“Jordan, talk to me.”

“I don’t want to.”

My brother wasn’t the type of person to just leave me when I was in this kind of state. It really made me wish that I had a lock on my door so I could keep him out. But knowing him, he’d either get the key or pick the lock. My brother wouldn’t stop until he got what he wanted.

“Okay, so obviously something is up,” Austin sighed, now sitting down at my desk so he wouldn’t have to stand. Great, that meant he was going to be here for a while. “It obviously has something to do with Dallas and maybe even Trinity. It had to have happened at the mall, unless you lied about where you were and you were somewhere else. But why would you be upset if Dallas and Trinity broke up? That’s what you’ve wanted for the past four years…”