Girls vs. Boys (17) - Prom

April 19th, 2008

"Nuh-uh. You're not leaving in that."

I stared at my brother flatly, doing a little twirl in the dress I had borrowed from Aimee. It was short, probably a little too short, but I didn't really care. It was cute, and I was sure Dallas would think that.

"I like the dress, Austin," my mother informed him, patting on his shoulder.

"Dad won't," Austin said now, and I couldn't tell if that was a threat or not.

Before my brother could go get our father, there was a knock on the front door. I squealed, knowing who it was. My mother looked excited as well, but Austin looked so unhappy, and it was hilarious. I was glad that my father was working upstairs so he wouldn't see, because then he'd probably go make me go change into sweats.

"Have fun, sweetie!" my mother called after me.

"But not too much fun!" Austin made sure to add.

I opened the front door, smiling brightly when I saw that it was in fact Dallas who was on the other side. When he saw me, his eyes widened and he smiled. He looked so good in a tux... But that wasn't very surprising for Dallas.

"Ready to go?" he asked, offering his arm for me to take after his eyes had traveled up and down my body. I nodded almost timidly, taking his arm and walking off to his car with him.

This was going to be the best night of my life. I already knew it.

When we got to his school, it was a lot more extravagant than I thought it would be. I mean, it was a public school. I didn't think it would be as good as dances that happened at my school, since I went to a private school and everything... But I was wrong. The place actually looked really good.

Dallas immediately pulled me on to the dance floor, but it wasn't like I was about to complain. I wanted to dance with him, to be as close to him as I possibly could have. I wondered if Trinity had come, and if she did, I wondered if she brought a date...

Dallas and I danced for three slow songs straight, and I never wanted to stop. My dream was coming true. I was actually on a real date with Dallas. He wasn't dating Trinity anymore. He was dancing with me, not Trinity.

Right after the third song ended, Dallas was suddenly being pulled away from me. I took a step back, almost tripping over in my heels, but caught myself before I could sprawl myself over the floor.

As I had been fearing, the person that had pulled him away from me was Trinity. Couldn't she leave us alone? She was the one that had let Dallas go, not the other way around.

"Dallas," Trinity started, her eyes brimming with tears as she looked between Dallas and me. "Why are you here with Jordan?"

Dallas shrugged, entwining his fingers with mine. "Because I like her, Trinity."

"But we just broke up two days ago!"

"I've known her for the past fourteen years."

Trinity looked over at me, glaring harshly. It was the first time she had ever looked at me that way, since she had always been so kind to me before. But she never saw me as a threat before, so that was understandable.

"You can't really love her," Trinity gulped, fighting back to tears so it wouldn't ruin her makeup. I felt like decking her. "You told me that you loved me, Dallas. Isn't that right? You love me... right?"

Dallas glanced between Trinity and me, as if he was trying to decide. I felt my stomach lurch. What was he going to say to her?

He sighed, looking away from me. "Of course I love you, Trinity."