Girls vs. Boys (32) - Senior Year

August 24th, 2010

I used to love school.

I really did.

But now, for some reason, it just wasn’t feeling the same. And I didn’t even know why. I just wanted to go home and finish the school year off already, and it was only the first day.

When the bell signaling the day was over rang, I let out a sigh of relief. I could finally go home and hate the fact that school was back in session even more.

“Aren’t you excited?” Lexi asked me, a large grin plastered onto her face when she met with me after school. “We’re seniors now, Jordan! We’re seniors!”

She had been chanting this to me all day, and every time it made me less and less excited. It just reminded me that not only did we have to go back to school for another whole year, but it was the last year that we had of high school. We were the oldest kids in the school, which also meant that I was the smartest.

Okay, I have to admit that that made me feel a little proud of myself. I never thought I would accomplish anything like being the smartest in the entire school, but I ended up doing it. And this only meant that I was going to be valedictorian at the end of the year…

But I couldn’t help but think about how this was the grade Dallas had been in when he had ditched me at his prom. I could hardly believe that that was nearly three years before. I had just been a tiny, little freshman back then, and he had been a senior. Now I was the senior and he was nowhere to be found.

I had totally ditched junior prom the year before, especially since our school was joining Cambridge for it. Not only did I not even get asked, but I didn’t want to deal with Jesse Jacobsen at a stupid party like prom.

“But anyway,” Lexi continued before I could even say anything to her. “I know we planned to hang out today and everything, but Bruce has something really amazing for me planned, so… yeah. I’m going to have to cancel.”

I stared at my best friend flatly. Was she seriously going to ditch me for her boyfriend? I thought that that was something best friends weren’t allowed to do. It wasn’t like I would ever ditch Lexi… if I ever even got a boyfriend.

“Okay, that’s fine,” I nodded, even though it totally wasn’t. “Go have fun.”

She squealed, hugging me tightly before hurrying off toward the parking lot. I let out a sigh, turning the other way in the direction of the way to my house.

Here I was, a senior in high school and I was walking home. I didn’t live too far away, so my parents wouldn’t let me drive. And since Lexi was going to hang out with Bruce, she wasn’t going to give me a ride like I thought she was.

The last time I had walked the streets alone, some drunk guy grabbed me. And that was in the middle of the day, just like right then. Jesse might have been able to save me last time, but that didn’t mean he was able to save me this time.

I used this time thinking about things. I was actually a senior in high school, and it hadn’t really sunk in until that moment. There was no one older than us, and everyone else was younger. It was kind of an amazing feeling, if you want the truth.

But I still couldn’t stop thinking about Dallas. He had to go through every other grade that I did, but for some reason senior year just made me think about nothing but him. Maybe it was because he was a senior when everything had happened between us… If anything ever really did happen between us.

“Asshole,” I swore under my breath at him, kicking at a stone as I continued on walking. “Get out of my head.”

I hadn’t even seen him in nearly three years. Thinking about him just because I was a senior now was just stupid.