Girls vs. Boys (20) - But This Wouldn't be the Last

August 19th, 2008

“I swear I’ll dump a bucket of water all over you if you don’t get up,” Lexi warned from above me, but I still didn’t move a muscle. Even if she were to pour a bucket of water on me, I wouldn’t have cared about that either. I just didn’t want to get up, for more reasons than one.

“Jordan,” a gentler voice said now, grabbing onto my shoulder and shaking me lightly. “You need to get up. You can’t miss the first day of school.”

“Yes I can,” I snapped, swatting AJ’s hand away. “I don’t want to go.”

I heard Chelsea sigh, and I saw her shadow on my wall cross her arms over her chest. I was being stubborn, but that was usual. The girls should have been expecting this, considering they knew I wasn’t a morning person.

“Do you think she’s still depressed over…” Lexi started, and I could tell she glanced at me before continuing with, “D-A-L-L-A-S?”

“I can spell,” I muttered, not even turning to face them. “I’m not the smartest girl in our grade for nothing.”

“You won’t be the smartest in our grade anymore if you don’t get up and go to school,” Aimee snapped, sitting down on my bed by my legs. “She’s been depressed about Dallas the entire summer.”

“It was her first broken heart…” AJ tried to stick up for me, but I knew that it wasn’t going to do any good. It had been almost three months; I should have been over Dallas. Sometimes I would be able to forget about him, but he always seemed to be what I thought about whenever I went to sleep and whenever I woke up.

“We’re all going to have our hearts broken,” Chelsea said now. “But I guess it’s a little different for Jordan, huh? She’s liked Dallas ever since she was really little. I guess I can see why she’s so upset after all these months.”

“Did I ever say that that was the reason why I don’t want to get out of bed?” I nearly shouted, my back still to them as I continued to face the wall. “I never said that I’m not getting up because of Dallas. I may be upset whenever I think about him, but that doesn’t mean he’s the reason I don’t want to go to school. He didn’t even go to our school anyways.”

I thought I heard Aimee smirk, if that was possible. “Oh. I think I know why she really doesn’t want to go to school.”

I squeezed my eyes shut, knowing what Aimee was talking about, when Lexi asked, “What?”

“It’s quite simple, really,” Aimee snickered, sounding way too smug for her own good. “They didn’t do it last year because Headmistress Belladonna was sick with the flu. But they’re going to be doing it this year. Don’t you remember getting that letter from the school over the summer? The one that told all the students to go to the auditorium on the first day of school? It didn’t tell us what it was for, but I know because my sister’s a senior this year, she’s the vice-president, and she’s friends with Jordan’s brother. I’m sure he’s told her what’s going to happen.”

“What?” Chelsea asked now. “What do they do? What’s going to happen?”

Aimee grinned. “They welcome back the students of Adeline and Cambridge… together.”

“Why would they do that?” AJ asked, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. “I mean, they are our brother school, but…”

“Exactly, they’re our brother school and we’re their sister school,” Aimee nodded, sitting on my bed next to Chelsea now. “We have dances with them, and other things like that. They just want us to get used to each other. We’re technically the same school.”