Girls vs. Boys (19) - Boo!

May 30th, 2008

When I finally got home from school, I couldn’t help but feel relieved. I had finished freshman year and now I was going to be a sophomore. As exciting as that thought was, it still didn’t make me feel any better about what had happened over a month ago.

Now fifteen, I hadn’t talked to Dallas since the day after the prom. I didn’t even speak to him on my birthday, though he did try to talk to me. But just like the first time, I had my friends to protect me from him.

So I plopped down on the couch, ready for the summer that was ahead of me. I was glad that Dallas was going to be going off to college soon, and I wasn’t going to have to deal with him any longer.

“Jordan…” my father suddenly said only a few hours after I had gotten home, but he didn’t need to finish what he was saying. I already knew what it was about.

“I’m not going,” I said, crossing my arms over my chest and not even looking up at my family as they stood before me. “You can’t make me.”

“Stop being so bullheaded, Jordan,” my mother sighed, sitting down next to me on the couch as I continued to stare right at the television screen. “You probably won’t even see Dallas.”

“Then what’s the point of even going?” I snapped, scooting away from her when she reached to sooth my hair. “It’s his graduation. His and his lovely girlfriend Trinity’s graduation. Even if I won’t see him up close, I still have to see him on stage and hear his name be called. It may have been over a month since the prom, but you can’t expect me to just run up to him and jump in his arms after everything that happened.”

My mother sighed, and my father said nothing. Austin was just staring at me, looking like he understood what I was going through. He hadn’t talked to Dallas since what had happened the month before, and I was glad that he didn’t. My parents still talked to Dallas’s parents all the time, as if nothing had happened at all. It annoyed me a lot, but that didn’t change my parents’ minds at all.

“Jordan, Dallas’s parents really want to see you,” my father now informed me, crossing his arms over his chest as he continued to stand next to Austin. “You don’t have to see Dallas, but it would be nice of you if you went to his parents.”

“You want me to be nice to the parents of the boy that shredded my heart completely?” I snapped, not believing that my parents were actually trying to get me to do this. “Whose side are you even on?”

“We’re not on anyone’s side, Jordan,” my mother tried quietly, reaching for me again, but this time I jumped up from my spot on the couch to avoid her touch.

“No! You are choosing sides! And you chose Dallas’s side!” I shouted, shaking my head at my parents in disbelief. “I can’t believe this! I’m your daughter, not him! Do you seriously think that what he did wasn’t bad?”

“We think what he did was horrible, Jordan, but you can’t hate him forever,” my mother said sternly now, standing up from the couch as well.

“Yes I can!” I spat, stomping my foot against the carpeted flooring of my living room. “Just watch me!”

“Jordan Elaine Emery,” my mother spat, her voice dangerously low. “We all agree that what Dallas did wasn’t acceptable. It was rude and upsetting, but he’d obviously sorry for it. He already came over to apologize to you, but you just wouldn’t listen. I think it’s about time you forgive and forget.”

I crossed my arms across my chest defiantly. “I can’t forgive him for what he’s done. And I won’t ever be able to forgive him.”