Girls vs. Boys (21) - Detention

August 19th, 2008

“This is very unlike you, Jordan,” Headmistress Belladonna said, pacing around her office as I sat next to Jesse. I knew that this was unlike me; she didn’t have to remind me. Headmaster Solomon was leaning against Headmistress Belladonna’s desk, and I didn’t say a word. “You’re a straight A student, and you’ve never gotten into any trouble before. I really find it hard to believe that you’re here right now.

“I’m not surprised with Jesse, really,” Headmaster Solomon sighed, his arms crossed over his chest as he looked at the boy who sat next to me. “He and his friends have been called into my office too many times to count.”

Why wasn’t I surprised? Jesse definitely was the type of guy that would be called into the principal’s office all the time. I definitely wasn’t the type of girl that got called out at all; I was actually hoping that I could go through my entire high school life without ever stepping foot in Headmistress Belladonna’s office unless it was because of something good.

But Jesse Jacobsen ruined that for me, like he ruined a lot of other things.

“I’d like to know what you two were doing while we were all in the auditorium,” Headmistress Belladonna said, her arms crossed over her chest as she stopped walking. “Not only did you ruin the opening ceremony, but you also broke a chair, which meant you cost the school money. What were you two doing?”

“Jordan had an accident,” Jesse smirked before I could say anything, and he jabbed his thumb in my direction. I glowered at him, but he didn’t even look at me or my wet clothes. “I don’t know why she attacked me though.”

I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest and also crossing my legs. I was still soaked, and Headmistress Belladonna wouldn’t give me an extra uniform to change in to. I was pretty sure this was part of my punishment.

“Jesse,” Headmaster Solomon sighed, shaking his head as he stared down at the idiot beside me. “How about you let Jordan talk, okay? Something tells me that you’re not exactly a trustworthy person at this moment.

“Hah,” I sneered, sticking out my tongue at Jesse, who scowled back at me.

“Jordan,” Headmistress Belladonna said now. “Care to explain?”

So I explained to them what had happened, making sure to point out that none of this was my fault at all. It wasn’t like I broke the chair I was sitting in on purpose… There was no point in doing so. Headmistress Belladonna knew that I wasn’t the type of person to do something stupid without a reason.

“How long has this little… feud been going on?” Headmaster Solomon asked now as Headmistress Belladonna sat at her desk. “If you were trying to choke him, Jordan, for only pouring water on you, I’m sure that something else has gone on between the two of you. A bad breakup?”

I felt all the color leave from my face, and Jesse started laughing. I shook my head so hard that I thought my neck was going to snap as I shouted, “No! Definitely not!”

Headmistress Belladonna sighed. “Then what is it with you two? If you didn’t have a bad break up or anything like that, why would you be fighting like you were?”

I really didn’t want to talk about. I didn’t want to remember what Jesse Jacobsen had done to me, or what had happened because of what he did. Because then I was going to have to remember the one person I just wanted to forget.

“Long story,” Jesse excused, waving a hand in front of his face as he shrugged. “Let’s just say we really don’t like each other. At all.”

“We’re enemies, rivals,” I explained, glancing over at Jesse quickly to glare at him before turning back toward my headmistress. “It’s been going on for months. It’ll be a year in a few months.”