Girls vs. Boys (33) - The Betrayal of Aimee Dennett

December 24th, 2010

“It’s Christmas Eve, Jordan!” my mother announced one I came down the stairs at around one o’clock in the afternoon. “You don’t look excited!”

“I just woke up, Mom,” I told her grumpily, knowing that she wouldn’t be surprised, since everyone knew that I hated mornings. “Not to mention that I’m seventeen years old. I think I’m a little too old to get excited about you and Dad putting presents under the tree.”

My mother made a face. “You’re never too old for Christmas.”

I shrugged as I reached up into the cabinet for a box of cereal, sitting down at the kitchen island and pouring it out into a bowl when the doorbell rang.

“I’ll go get it,” my mother volunteered when she saw that I wasn’t about to move from my spot.

I continued eating, shoveling the cereal into my mouth so I wouldn’t fall back asleep. It might have been one in the afternoon, but that didn’t mean I wasn’t still tired…

“Why am I not surprised that you’re still in your pajamas, eating breakfast at one o’clock in the afternoon?” Lexi asked with a smirk when she saw me. She was fully clothed and ready for the day, while I definitely wasn’t. Her makeup and hair were done, and I would have been lucky if I didn’t have any line markings on my face from my pillow.

“You know I’m not a morning person,” I grumbled, shoveling a spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

“I know that. So, Jordan,” Lexi smiled now, changing the subject and completely sucking up to me as I readjusted myself in my chair. “So, you know… AJ has a Christmas party tonight…”

“I’m not going.”

"But, Jordan!"

"You know you can't make me, Lexi."

“You are literally the most pessimistic person I have ever met in my entire life!” she exclaimed, her hands traveling up to her hair. She looked like she was about to pull it out. “Come on! I know you don’t like parties, but it’s Christmas Eve! And it’s AJ’s party this time, not yours. Please come?”

“You’re not going to talk me into going,” I informed her as she jumped up and sat on my kitchen island. “You tried talking me into going to a soccer game at Cambridge a few weeks ago, and I didn’t go to that. I want to stay as far away from Cambridge and parties so I don’t have to see--”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, you don’t want to see Jesse,” Lexi sighed, rolling her eyes at me now. “But the game was good, Jordan. Their soccer team always wins when they play at Cambridge because of their lucky net.”

I rolled my eyes at her now. “That’s ridiculous. There’s no such thing as a lucky net.”

Lexi shrugged. “I don’t know. All I know is that they cherish that thing so much that it isn’t even funny. It’s really weird, actually.”

“Everything about Cambridge is weird,” I grumbled, knowing she’d know who I was talking about.

“I don’t like Jesse as much as you do, but that shouldn’t stop you from going to a party,” Lexi sighed. “But you don’t even have to deal with him after the school year ends. You’ll just have to get through a couple more months of him.”

I said nothing as I poured myself another bowl of cereal, not in the greatest mood at the thought of parties and Jesse Jacobsen. It was almost January, which meant I only had six more months to deal with Jesse…

“Well, Jordan?” Lexi now asked after a few minutes of silence, the only sound being me eating my cereal. “Will you please go to AJ’s party? It really will be a lot of fun.”