Chapter 5

"The female reproductive system includes the ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, vulva, mammary glands and breasts. These organs are involved in the production of sex hormones and-"

A snicker was heard throughout the room. Mr. Franklin spun around, eager to sniff out the culprit whose constant giggles and snickers had been interrupting class for the past forty five minutes.

"Who was that?" he barked. Every head turned to Aron Marai, exposing him for the idiot he was. I honestly didn't get it. Why is this so funny for these immature idiots? This is life, deal with it!

"Mr. Marai, you again, I have had enough, go to the principal's office immediately!"

Aron pouted in mock remorse and reasoned, "Aww come on Mr. F, it's funny, don't frown, you'll get more wrinkles."

Mr. Franklin looked like a dynamite about to explode, but before he could, Aron interrupted.

"Hey...come on sour face, let me tell you a joke."

Defeated and fed up with Aron's idiotic behaviour, Mr. Franklin gestured for him to continue.

"Well," he began, "Timmy brought his cat to school. His teacher asked him why he brought it. Do you know what he told the teacher?" Aron questioned the class.

"No," came a crowd of zombie-like voices. Even the class was beginning to get annoyed with Aron and his stupidity.

"He told the teacher, that...that...." he couldn't hold back the laughter as he began, "he heard his daddy say to his mommy, 'i'm gonna eat that pussy when the kids go to school' so he was trying to save it!" He erupted into a fit of laughter.

A few giggles could be heard throughout the class, and if you thought Mr. Franklin was mad before, well now he was furious. Before Aron could get the scolding of his life, the bell rang, saving his soul and stopping our entertainment. I got up and began packing my things when a gentle hand touched the small of my back. I spun around instantly. There was Mandy, a sad look on her face and bags that could hold groceries, under her now dull green eyes. Her hair looked a dirty blonde and her once full, pink lips were thin and chapped. She looked awful!

"Hey..." she began slowly, "I-i'm s-"

I couldn't bear to hear it. I cut her off immediately. She looked so hopeless, so fragile, I didn't want to break her by not accepting the apology. I was still angry at her. What she had done was unforgivable. Many people would think that what I was doing was petty and stupid, but my biggest fear was-is, facing my mother. Her abandonment left a scar that I couldn't quite heal. No antiseptic could heal the growing infection of paranoia inside me. I was afraid! Afraid of being abandoned....again, by someone I loved. I loved Mandy. I really did! We had been best friends since we were eight......but, I wasn't quite ready to forgive her yet.

"M-mandy," I stuttered meekly. Sending down the lump of regret rising in my throat and pressing my palm to her forehead, I finished, "What's going on? Why are you so warm? Are you sick?" The doctor in me emerged and I began dragging her towards the nurse's office.

"I-i'm fine!" she stated.

"Well you don't look fine..okay? Now come on!" I continued to pull her but she pulled away, claiming that she was okay. I was ready to argue, but she beat me to it.

"I need to tell you something. I-i'm so sorry and I know you hate me, but-"

"I don't hate you," I assured her.

"Y-you don't?" she questioned, slightly surprised, a hopeful look on her face. I shook my head, my dark brown hair, swaying as I did so. She stepped forward, arms wide, ready to hug me, when I backed away.