Chapter 18

I was panicking. How could I let this happen to me. To us. Jace was currently in the bathroom but he's been in there for an hour now. Probably doing the exact same thing that I was doing right now. Thinking.

I had just finished changing into some comfy clothes when I heard the water turn off and Jace came out, a towel wrapped around the lower half of his body.

I'm just going to say it. I'm kinda happy I did it with him, even if I can't remember. Jace sat on the bed, still wrapped in his towel, and ran his hands through his damp hair. He was mumbling incoherent words. Something about "stupid" and "asshole", and I'll admit...it hurt. Is that what he thought about me? Thought about us?

The silence was sickening. I thought about what to say next. Questions zoomed through my mind, all well thought of, and the stupidest one came out.
"You hungry?"
Stupid! Stupid!
He didn't reply. He didn't even nod. So I tried again.
"You know, the water is really good in the morning...how about a swim?"

Not even a grunt. How dare he! Last night was no joy ride for me either! I calmed myself.

"Would you like to talk?"

He got up, sent me a pitied look and stormed off into the bathroom. My heart cracked and my temper boiled. I stormed after him and twisted the door knob. It was locked. I pounded on the door.

"Open the door."

Silence!

"Open the damn door Jace."

Silence!

I didn't know what hurt more..that I was screwed over...literally, or that I actually thought he had cared. Something died inside me. I left him and began packing my bag. An hour later, my bag was packed and Jace still hadn't come out. I was beginning to worry.

I threw the last of my clothes into the pocket of the last bag and readied myself to knock on the door. Before I could, it opened and Jace exited, fully clothed, with suitcase in hand. He ignored me as he finished stuffing his things into the bag. How dare he!

I was just about ready to kill him. Profanities were at the back of my throat, ready to escape but a knock on the main door beat me to it.
We both glared each other before I stalked to the door and was greeted by Caleb. He still looked like he was suffering from a hangover but his toothy grin was all it took to make my day.

I smiled for the first time that morning.
"Hello Cali." He wrapped me in small embrace that I didn't expect. It took only seconds for me to return the gesture. Jace huffed.
"Get out Caleb."
I scoffed and turned around, grabbing Caleb's hand.

"It speaks!" I hissed.

A muscle in Jace's jaw twitched at Caleb and I's joint hands and that made me smirk. I hoped it was killing him like he was killing me.

"Get out Caleb, I won't talk again." He turned back around and grabbed a cigarette from a side table and lit it. Caleb let go of my hand and began to leave, but I pulled him back gently.
'I'm coming!' I mouthed and was about to leave when Jace spoke.

"Not you Cali." I rolled my eyes, ready to challenge him, when Caleb shook his head.

"He may be an ass, but he is my employer." With that he left. I sighed and turned around, the smell of the cigarette slapping me right in the face. It was disgusting.

"You.."  I began, but he cut me off.
"I'm sorry."

"No shit!"I replied.

If he thinks that I'm backing down he's totally wrong. He looked back up at me, cigarette in mouth, grabbed our bags and walked out.