British Guys Aren't Cute - Chapter Twenty-One

'The English country gentleman galloping after a fox — the unspeakable in full pursuit of the uneatable,'
Oscar Wilde

Chapter Twenty-One

Post 274

Okay... One Direction. Everyone outside the UK seems to be going nuts over them! CALM THE HELL DOWN! Seriously, they've been around for like two years in the UK! They are not new! Plus stop saying you fancy them, unless your like forty, you've got no chance!

Loud shrieking was all that filled Nora's ears as everything when black, pulling her into a state of unconsciousness and sending her back into a memory that she constantly tried to avoid thinking back to, a memory from when she was thirteen. 

"Mrs Flynn?" A doctor questioned, raising an eyebrow at Nora's mother. They were sat in the hospital waiting room, the smell filling Nora's nostrils as she sat nervously in the uncomfortable seat. She hadn't spoken a work to her mother, who had walking in five minutes before, reeking of booze and cigarettes. 

"It's Miss White now," her mother's raspy voice replied, sending unwanted shivers down Nora's spine. She remembered a time when her mother's voice was the softest she had ever heard, almost like silk, but years of abuse had taken its toll, leaving her voice ruff like sandpaper. 

"Oh sorry, excuse the mistake," the doctor apologised before getting down to business, "Miss White, I'm sorry but your ex-husband's cancer has spread to his liver and stomach. I'm sorry to tell you but it's now at stage four," 

Nora's mother's expression did not change, not moving from the uncaring, cold expression it had been before the doctor had appeared. Tears built up in Nora's eyes as she began to shake, forgetting to breath. 

Her dad was dying, and she couldn't do anything to save him. The doctor continued to explain her father's condition, explaining how he had days to live, to her mother, who just stood there, probably wondering where she would get her next hit, while Nora tried to block out the sound of the world around her. Just wishing that she could be left to grow up happily with her father. 

Nora couldn't take it anymore, she lifted herself off her chair and ran through to her father's room, remembering the way from the waiting room to the horrible private room that her dad had been left in. She ran up the long corridor, ignoring the shouts from nurses for her to slow down.

She turned the corner, running straight into her father room, instantly spotting her dad looking tired sitting up in his bed with a frown on his face. His once bright green, identical to Nora's, had grown fainter over the months, weaker in colour.  

"Hey Bull's eye," her dad croaked from his bed, a weak smile forming on his face. Bull's eye had been his nickname ever since she was seven and she hit her first bulls eye. Nora opened her mouth to reply, praying that words would float out, but nothing happened, only tears fell. "Come here, darling," her father replied, weakly stretching out his arms to cuddle his daughter. Nora had been the only daughter out of seven who stayed with him after the divorce. He still loved her six siblings as much as he loved Nora, but he had always been closer to Nora, they had always been close since she was born. She was his double. 

Nora ran over to her father's bedside, jumping slightly on the bed before her father wrapped her up in his arms, trying to protect her from the terrors of the surrounding area. "You said you wouldn't leave, you promised! They said you would be okay," Nora howled, crying into her father. Tears ran down her father's cheeks as her felt his daughters pain. He wouldn't get to see her grow up, leave university, he wouldn't get to scare away her first boyfriend or watch her say, 'I do' to the guy who stole her heart. The latter made his stomach churn more than the rest of them, he had always wanted to see his daughters marry to guy that they loved, but now he wouldn't