Step Five: Missing Queen

It had been two hours since their initial search. At first, they searched the courtyard to find some clues, then, they searched outside of the castle and asked around the tourists. The other teachers were searching inside the castle, along with the tour guides.

Gabby would not voice out how tired she was, especially after seeing Andrew and Ms. Freidman so determined and looking worried. She did note that Andrew is such a nice guy that even though those girls bullied him, he still wants them safe.

She hated herself for not thinking the same, but she did blame it on the lack of sleep and how much she hated those girls for always calling her stereotypical Asian names. Still, she shook off her hatred against the two girls and decided to find them.

"Guys, come check this out!" Andrew called out somewhere. They were inside the castle again and they were one of the rooms down in the basement. Gabby followed Ms. Freidman as she, too, followed Andrew into a secret passage.

Once they saw where Andrew was, they saw that he stood at a wooden door. Gabby studied the door and took a peek into the small triangular hole in it that was the size of a notebook. She saw that there were stairs leading down to somewhere. She wouldn't have to delve in much further into it, but something caught her eye.

"Andrew, how did you find this door?" Gabby asked, but she seemed distracted.

He was just about to respond but was cut off when Gabby eyed the door handle, before testing it to see if it was locked or not. Somehow, the door wasn't locked as she had initially thought. Then, she pushes it open.

"Hey, Gabby what are you doing?" Andrew called after her, while Ms. Freidman followed the girl silently.

Gabby picked up the bright blue varsity jacket, Ms. Freidman gasped. She looked up to her teacher and Andrew and saw the shock in their expressions. It was not like she was not shocked herself, but the feeling of curiosity was stronger. She had hoped that she was just stuck in a weird alternate reality inside her head.

"That's..." Andrew trailed off, not being able to complete his sentence.

Ms. Freidman spoke with disbelief, "Ms. Mayers jacket."

Gabby clutched the jacket in her hands as she wonders what happened to Jessica and Sophie. At least now they have a clue on Jessica, but not for Sophie. She hopes that the two are still together so they can be easier to find.

"I'll call the police," Ms. Freidman said and quickly got out, leaving the two of them standing in the spiral stairs.

Andrew looked at the still stoic Gabby and laid a comforting hand on hers. This got her attention and she looked up to Andrew and saw the genuine concern on his eyes behind his big spectacles. "I understand that you're in shock but we need to move along and give the clue to the teachers."

She almost nodded until they both heard a weak whimper somewhere downstairs. They both tensed up and felt the cold hand of fear on their hearts. Their eyes meeting each other and their hands both felt cold.