Chapter 24: Danger lurks

Excuse spelling or grammar issues
Chapter 24: Danger lurks

After our eating session, we decided to take a nap before our journey to the Capitol. But they were deciding on who shift it is to watch me.

I felt like a child being put in timeout, Gale volunteered walking towards me in my little corner. He smiles gently sitting next to me on the floor. I felt a glaze, I look over to see Peeta scowling.

I roll my eyes to myself,

"He's ignoring us! That's his fault." I only agreed before tuning out Gale's attempt to have an conversation with me.

*2 hours later*

I was awaken by the sound of whispering, I look up to see Peeta actually sitting next to me comforting me into his arms. It felt so warm, his strong features.

As if he felt my lusting stare, he wakes up glancing down at me before jumping up and walking towards the squad.

I felt empty but remained seated observing their conversation,

Pollux and his brother Castor was discussing where could they go next to not be spotted while heading to the capitol. We were trying to avoid any new possible pods being made at this moment.

Jackson interrupts, "Well how are we going to continue our march to the Capitol, if we have to babysit Katniss."

I lift my head and look between the windowed doors before whispering monotonously, "You can always kill me. I'm a mutt— I killed Mitchell, at any moment I could try to kill Peeta. You can end me now, I won't feel a thing." They look over at me, quiet tears fall down my face. I just wanted this to be over.

"Look we are not killing Katniss, if she didn't get captured it would be her whose the Mockingjay not me! So stop making it seem like she's dangerous. I mean she is but I have faith we can help her." Peeta replied glancing at me again.

I kept my head down jiggling my handcuffs to control myself. The pain helped me realize that this is real, that I'm not in the Capitol.

I begin to breathe in and out,

"I'm Katniss Everdeen, I was born in District 12—" I cover my eyes repeating over and over until it stuck.

The squad looked at me like a wild woman, until Johanna slides in.

"Leave her be, at least she's not screaming. We're used to each-other screaming ya know." She laughs it off darkly before the squad finishes their plot.

We were heading to the sewers, Pollux and Castor lead the way while Johanna and Finnick both mention things I did before. Peeta came after to bring up things me and him use to do together during the Victory tour.

The images start to stick, Peeta wasn't a mutt at this moment. He was the guy I was tortured for, a strong man who loved me for years. At first my love was unrequited but I feel the same way he does.

I was in love with Peeta Mellark.

I always admitted to myself that I loved Peeta, but receiving this silent treatment and when he took up for me— it was finally clear.

After this war was over, he was going to be mine for-real this time.

No cameras— no acting.

Now it's time that I start believing it.

Before falling asleep, I felt the stares. I kept my eyes shut clenching my cold numb fingers together to create some warmth. Jackson was the first to take shift watching me sleep, I was to cold to acknowledge the sudden imprisonment taking place.

I fell into a deep slumber but still heard Jackson and Peeta argue on whether it was Gale or Peeta watching me next. I groan silently alerting them, while Peeta walks over towards me bringing me in an embrace.

"Jeez--Katniss you are beyond freezing!" He exhales, my shivering body collapses onto to his arm body heat before falling back to sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------

I jump suddenly from a echo screech, whispering yells circulating us. Everyone jerked at the sound. I heard this before? Oh no. It's the mutts. I hop up pulling Peeta with my cuffed hands.

"It's the mutts! We have to get going. NOW!" I yelled. We suddenly ran at a steady pace in the pitch darkness, adrenaline pumping throughout our veins waiting for the unknown around each sewer corner. The water drips hollow and splash start to surround us from every corner. To prevent an ambush, Jackson leads us into a opening slot to the end of the sewer thanks to Pollux.

I was the first to go through, nodding into the slot confirming we were safe from the mutts. The train follows leaving Castor and Jackson, Jackson tries to keep a strong face but she was petrified.

She was almost free until the green scaled reptile mutts grabbed Jackson dragging her into their huddle eating her alive. Her agonizing pitch screams traveled after we ran from the mutts that begun to chase us. Gale and the others started shooting behind us while Peeta used the fire arrows Beetee had made for him and Gale.

Gale switches over to his arrow shooting fire arrows ahead to provide a clear path. Finnick stabs mutts left and right just before we entered the main exit of the sewer.

The fighting continued, gun bullets were shot and arrows were throw. The water had us slipping and sliding when dodging attacks. I was empty handed while trying to hit the mutts with my empty prop gun.

One jumped upon me catching me at my vulnerable moment, I push the gun in between us preventing the sharp teeth from biting my neck. Peeta leaps onto the mutt before stabbing the mutt in the neck, before it dies a harsh screech leaves it throat.

Peeta glances at me and I look back at him nodding my head in thanks. We realized that if we stayed longer it would lead into surrender and being at a lost. Peeta and I told the others to get ready to go, rushing towards the ladder climbing one after one. Peeta counted who was still in the sewer, Castor and Gale.

Gale hopped onto the ladder kicking the mutts off his leg, shooting below him while we grabbed his hands. Just right then Castor slips off the ladder falling into the water, the mutts closed in on him, Castor was killed.

We tried our best, it was to late. Peeta hesitated to use the Holo, but Pollux pushed it back into his chest.

Save it.

The yells were behind us, but now we were a step closer to the capital. I will find who I am with Peeta by my side.