Our Song (6)

"Are you feeling alright, babe?"

No, not really.

"I feel fine now." I smiled forcefully up at Sean, sidestepping away from him when he made a move to put his arm around me. "Thank you so much for asking."

How this guy couldn't tell how much he annoyed me, I'd never know. I might have been smiling, but it was obviously forced.

"You should have stayed home if you were sick," Cassie sneered, obviously still angry that I left them the way I did the day before. It was a pretty understandable reason, even if it had been fake. "You'd feel much better if you were in bed asleep."

She literally sounded like she wanted to kill me, and it freaked me out just a little.

"Sorry," I apologized, even though it was obviously not sincere. "It won't happen again. If I'm sick, I'll just make sure not to go at all."

This didn't seem to make Cassie any happier. She probably wanted me to go places with them even when I was sick. "Well, I guess you're just going to have to make it up to all of us at lunch today," she finally huffed, her nose in the air and her arms crossed.

"Sorry, no can do," I started, biting on the inside of my lip to stop myself from smiling. "I can't sit with you at lunch today."

"What?" Cassie snapped, her eyes narrowing at me. "What are you talking about?"

"I have other friends, Cassie." I shrugged, trying to act like it was the simplest thing in the world, which it kind of was. But not to Cassie Bale. "It's not like you own me or anything, you know. I can sit with other people."

The look on her face told me that she wanted to say that she owned me, but she knew that it was better not to say anything at all. I let out a sigh and pulled my English book out of my locker, not knowing if I was going to need it for my next class or not.

"It's that Blake Solo kid, isn't it?" Sean asked, suddenly coming back into the conversation. I pursed my lips, but said nothing. This was all that Sean needed. "It is! You're sitting with him?"

"Yeah, so?" I shrugged it off as I looked around for Leslie so we could head off to English together. "He's my friend."

"A friend, huh?" Cassie's eyes were narrowed as she grabbed onto my shoulder and turned me back around so I was now looking right at her and Sean. "Oh, no. He isn't just a friend, Leah. He's more than just a friend and you know it."

I scoffed at her. "Are you kidding me? You're ridiculous."

Her eyebrows furrowed even more. "Am I?"

Finally, Leslie came around the corner to save me. I quickly said goodbye to both Cassie and Sean before bolting toward her, grabbing her arm and spinning her around in the direction of our classroom.

"Tough time with Cassie and Sean?" she asked, obviously amused.

"You could say that," was all I grumbled.

When we got into the classroom, we quickly parted ways so we could make it to our seats before the bell rang. I greeted Blake with a wave, wishing that he would have been able to hear me if I had said hello. But he still had those headphones on.

"Alright," Mrs. Sparks sighed, clapping her hands together to get everyone's attention once the bell had finally rung. She didn't stop clapping until everyone finally shut up. "Today, I have absolutely nothing planned for you because I had to take care of my son all day yesterday because he was sick with the stomach flu. There was literally puke everywhere."

Not an image I would have liked to see...

"So I decided that today would just be a day for you and your partner to work on your song while I come up with a lesson plan for tomorrow," she continued, muttering under her breath afterwards, "Because I'm not going to be able to get it down once I get home..."