Our Song (7)

After my face had cooled down, I quickly changed into my gym clothes like everyone else. I was glad when I found out we were running because then everyone's faces were going to be red.

"Word on the street is that you kissed Blake Solo," Leslie smirked as she jogged up next to me as we ran around the track. "I wish I was there to witness that. Why didn't you ever tell me that you liked him?"

"Because I don't," I snapped, changing my pace to a quick walk. "I only said that because Cassie was getting on my nerves. I couldn't think of anything else to say to get her to shut up. I only kissed Blake because I knew that it would have pissed her off, and Sean and Derrick seeing it was just a bonus."

"Well, it sure did piss them all off." Leslie nodded her approval. "Cassie texted me all in caps telling me what happened. I wish I could have seen their reactions. It probably would have been priceless."

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," I grumbled, picking up my pace once again. "I just want to forget that it ever happened. It's not even a big deal because it meant nothing to me or Blake."

She shrugged. "Fine by me. I'm not going to be like Cassie and push you into something that you don't want to do, or push you into talking about something you don't want to talk about, Lee."

And I was thankful for having a best friend like Leslie. It balanced out the craziness that was Cassie.

Gym went by as it always did, without any other word about Blake, the kiss, or Cassie. And after that, I seriously wasn't looking forward to going to our next class, since Cassie and Blake were both going to be there.

When my aforementioned best friend saw me enter the classroom, she stuck her nose in the air and let out a very audible, "Humph!"

I shouldn't have been surprised. I only kissed Blake to get her angry, and it was obviously working.

"Burk, I'd like to talk to you about your recent test score," Mr. Meyers said to me before I could get to my seat behind Blake. "You didn't do as well as I think you could have."

Of course I did bad on the test. Blake's music was blaring the entire time, and that had been back when I was annoyed by it. Then Mr. Meyers called me out on tapping my pencil and I was even more thrown off.

"Sorry, Mr. Meyers," I apologized sheepishly, looking down at my test to see the big, fat red D that stared up at me. That was going to be fun explaining to my parents. "I... guess I just didn't study hard enough."

"I'd like to schedule a retake," he told me now, flipping through a few of his papers. "I've made you a study guide so you'll know what to study. When would be a good time for you to retake it?"

"Um... sometime next week, maybe?" I suggested, knowing I would need a lot of time to study if I wanted a good grade. "If that's okay with you, of course."

Mr. Meyers smiled and nodded. "That's perfectly fine."

I nodded as well, turning around and making my way to my seat. I smiled at Blake, who smiled back.

Just as the bell rang, my phone vibrated in my pocket. I sneakily slipped it out, knowing it would be taken away if Mr. Meyers caught me, so I decided to only read the text and not reply to it.

My eyebrows furrowed when I saw that it was from Leslie, who was across the room from me. I looked up at her to see she wasn't even looking my way. She was way too fixated on whatever Mr. Meyers was saying.

I didn't know if she liked the class because it was class and she was Leslie or because it was Mr. Meyers that was teaching. A lot of girls seemed to have a crush on him, but I didn't see the appeal. It wasn't like he was unattractive, but he was a teacher for crying out loud.