Our Song (10)

Walking into the office right before sixth period was probably the hardest thing I could have ever done. Not only was what happened embarrassing, but it was really serious when you thought about it. I mean... I was an underage student. Mr. Meyers was my teacher and he was a legal adult.

"Do you have an appointment to see Mr. Wilkinson?" the secretary at the front desk asked, referring to the school's principal. 

"No, but..." I swallowed, not wanting her to send me to Mr. Meyer's class. The late bell had already rang anyway, so I would have been late no matter what. "It's urgent. I really need to see him."

The secretary eyed me for a moment. I stood there, biting my tongue as I waited for her to decide what to do. Couldn't she see how freaked out I was?

"Mr. Wilkinson," she finally said once she pushed a button on the office's phone. "There's a student here to see you. She doesn't have an appointment, but she says that it's urgent."

"Let her in," I heard Mr. Wilkinson say on the other line.

The secretary bobbed her head in the direction of Mr. Wilkinson's office, and I quickly shuffled my way inside.

"Leah Burkley?" Mr. Wilkinson asked in surprise once I entered his office. "I wouldn't expect you to be the one to come in here. I haven't spoken to you since your freshman year, when you wanted to switch out of your guitar class so you could be in drama."

I laughed nervously. "Aha, yeah... well..."

"What seems to be the problem?" he now asked, closing his office door before sitting down at his desk. I sat down across from him, breathing slowly in and out as I tried to calm myself down. "Is everything okay?"

"I was just... I was..." I gulped, wanting to slap myself in the face. "I just... wanted to ask you if... you could take me out of... um... Mr. Meyer's class that I have this period."

Mr. Wilkinson blinked at me. "Why would you want to be taken out?"

"Someone in that class is making me feel uncomfortable," I answered, not giving him any major details about who it was. "I just really want to be away from him and switching out of that class is the only way I can."

"And who's making you uncomfortable?" Mr. Wilkinson leaned forward in concern. 

"I'd... rather not say." I looked away from him so I wouldn't have to look at his intense stare. I didn't want to get Mr. Meyers in trouble. I just wanted to get out of his class so I wouldn't have to see him anymore.

"Leah, the only way this problem can really be resolved is if you tell me who's making you feel uncomfortable," Mr. Wilkinson stated, interlacing his fingers together and resting them on his desk. "If you don't want him to get in trouble, he doesn't have to get into trouble. Depending on the severity of the crime."

Mr. Meyers could have been fired for what he had done. He could have even been arrested. I didn't want either of those things to happen.

"It... it was..." I gulped again, tired of my childish stuttering. "It was... Mr. Meyers."

Mr. Wilkinson's eyes widened at me, and I looked down at my twiddling thumbs. This was the most uncomfortable thing I had ever had to go through, not counting what had happened the day before. I couldn't even look up at him.

"And what did Mr. Meyers do?" Mr. Wilkinson asked now, looking genuinely concerned for me as he leaned even closer into his desk. 

I explained to him everything that had happened the day before, making sure to inform him of every single detail. I didn't leave a single thing out; I wanted him to know how much I wanted to get out of that class and away from Mr. Meyers.