Our Song (21)

I didn't want to go to second period. I didn't know if it was going to be a normal day or a work day, since Mrs. Sparks would be random with her planning all the time. If it was a work day, which usually meant that Blake and I had a free day, I had no idea what I'd do.

I sat down in my seat beside Blake, saying nothing to him at all. I'd just ignore him and give him the silent treatment. That really was the only thing I could do.

"Leah, please," Blake pleaded, leaning over so no one else could hear what we were saying. "Please, listen to me."

I didn't even turn to look at him. I couldn't just forgive him for what he called me, because it honestly hurt me more than anything. I wanted to cry so much, but I knew that I couldn't. Not then, not there. I had to be angrier than sad.

When the door opened right before Mrs. Sparks could start the class, it was an automatic reaction for everyone to look over to see who it was. Everyone's eyes seemed to widen when Blake stepped in, only with a buzz cut instead of his normal long hair.

Which meant Thomas Solo was now in the classroom.

Everyone looked over at Blake in surprise, but I still refused to look at him, so I kept my eyes on Thomas. In all honesty, I was wondering why he was even there in the first place. I didn't know where he and Blake had lived, but I knew that he didn't live with Blake any longer.

"Thomas, so nice of you to join us," Mrs. Sparks smiled tightly, much like she had done to me before. I was surprised to see that she already knew who she was. "I thought you had gotten lost for a moment."

Thomas grinned a grin that looked too much like Blake's, which almost made me scowl. "Sorry, I did get lost for a second."

"That's fine, Thomas. You can go sit next to Jane. You'll also be her partner for the year-long project, since she didn't have one before you came," Mrs. Sparks informed him, and I looked over to see Jane look less than thrilled to hear this news. I didn't know if it was because she now had to do the project along with everyone else or if she knew Thomas. She had known Blake for so long, so I was going to assume that she had known Thomas as well. "I'll let her explain more about it since today's a work day."

Oh, no. Why did today of all days have to be a work day? If she had said that it was the next day, I just wouldn't have come to school!

I would have asked Sean to ditch with me, but I knew that there was no point since we were both already in class. It would have been too hard to leave with our stuff without our teachers getting suspicious.

Mrs. Sparks clapped when she let us go, but neither Blake nor I moved toward each other like we usually did. He turned toward me, but I pretended like he wasn't even there. The best thing I could have done was ignore him.

"Leah, listen to me, please," he tried, but I wasn't about to listen to him.

"Mrs. Sparks!" I called out, raising my hand so she could see where it was coming from. When she saw me with the look on my face, her eyebrows furrowed. "I'm on my period; can I go to the bathroom?"

I didn't care who heard me. As long as I got out of the classroom, I was perfectly fine with people thinking I was bleeding from the uterus.

She made a face. "Yes, of course you can."

I quickly got up from my seat, grabbing onto my backpack and taking it with me. Mrs. Sparks thought nothing of this, and I was sure that she thought that I had pads or a tampon in my backpack or something.

Little did she know that I wasn't planning on coming back.

But when I stepped outside the classroom, I realized that I had nowhere to go. Leslie and Derrick were both inside the classroom, along with Jane, and I definitely didn't want to deal with Cassie right then. I could have always tried to text Sean, but I knew he had chemistry that period, and I was sure it wasn't as easy for him to get out of that class as it was for Blake. Not to mention that I knew Sean really enjoyed chemistry, so I didn't want to interrupt him during his favorite class.