Our Song (25)

"She's dating a crazy person! She must be crazy, too!"

"Wasn't she just with Sean a little while ago? She's a slut!"

"Schizo's girlfriend!"

This was what I had been hearing ever since I had walked into school that morning. I had heard myself bereferred to as schizo's girlfriend at least fifteen times and school hadn't even started yet. I made me want to seriously throw up.

I ignored people's shouts and calls as I opened my locker. This had to blow over sooner or later. It had to stop sometime. I could take the abuse just fine, but I was worried about Blake. He usually got to school earlier than me, so I had no idea where he was.

"Leah," a new voice called out brightly from behind my locker door, and I was surprised to hear someone calling me by my actual given name. I glanced around my locker door to see it was Elias, who was smiling like he always did.

"If you're here to say something nasty about Blake or me, save it," was all I said to him, not even looking away from the inside of my locker as I said this.

Elias's eyebrows furrowed. "I wouldn't do something like that, Leah."

"So you've heard all the rumors, haven't you?"

Elias nodded. "Well, I wasn't going to believe them until I heard it from you."

"Well, they're true," I shrugged, trying my best to act like I didn't give a damn about how the entire school hated both Blake and me. "Blake does have schizophrenia, and I'm still dating him even if he does. Are you going to make fun of me now?"

Elias looked... hurt, and this made me feel awful. "Why would you think I'd do something like that?"

I let out a sigh, rubbing at my forehead. Why was I being bitchy to Elias, a guy who hadn't ever done anything wrong to me before? He never did anything that made me think he was like Sean at all.

"I'm sorry," I apologized with a shake of my head. "It's just... everyone I've come into contact with has been rude and mean about Blake, and school hasn't even started yet. I can't even imagine what he must be going through and what he's going to have to go through."

"Hey, you befriended me when no one else would," Elias grinned as he readjusting his backpack that continued to stay slung over one shoulder. "I would never be mean to you. I think you and Blake make a good couple, too."

"Well, you're the second person to tell me that," I smiled just a little, remembering the conversation I had had with Leslie on the phone the night before. She told me that she was fine with the fact that I was dating Blake, and she didn't find anything wrong with the fact that he had schizophrenia. She even kind of felt bad for him. I was sure that the rest of the school would as well if Sean hadn't filled their brains with hate.

Jane was another person that was fine with everything, but I didn't really count her with everyone else because she had known about Blake and his secret even longer than I had. And then there was Thomas, who still acted like a complete asshole.

When Elias's eyebrows furrowed as he looked over my head, I was too afraid to turn around. "Uh," he started, as if he didn't know what to say. "Isn't that that Sean guy that started all of this anyway? Who's he with?"

Finally turning around now, my eyes widened when I saw Sean and Cassie make their way down the halls, hand-in-hand. At first I didn't believe it, but then I remembered who I was dealing with. This was very believable.

"Hi, Leah," Cassie sneered as me as she and Sean continued by. "How are things with your psychotic, crazy boyfriend?"

Not even in control of my own hand, I clamped down on her arm and stopped her from walking any farther away from me. She glared, and Sean didn't even look in my direction.