Our Song (9)

Leslie looked like a zombie nearly all day, and I was surprised no one seemed to notice that something was wrong with her. She was completely different from her usual self.

"You should really go home, Leslie," I told her as she leaned against the locker next to mine, dark circles under her eyes as she struggled to keep them open. "I have to go retake a test for Mr. Meyers, so there's no point in waiting for me."

"I'm never drinking ever again," she grumbled, as if she hadn't even heard me. "This feeling is just plain evil."

I would have laughed if I didn't feel so bad for her. She looked so sick that I thought she could have passed out right then and there.

"Go home," I repeated, not nudging her because I was afraid she'd fall over if I touched her. "Go and get some sleep. You need it considering the fact you've been up all night acting like an idiot with Derrick."

"I can't believe I actually let him get to me," she sighed, grabbing onto my locker so help her stay standing. "I should have known it wouldn't make him like he more. I'm suffering now because of the stupid decision that I made."

"Just don't do it again." I shrugged, not having anything else to say. "Everyone makes mistakes, Leslie. You made a mistake. Derrick offered you a drink, and you took it because you thought that he would like you if you did it. Derrick isn't the kind of guy that likes girls, Leslie."

Her eyebrows furrowed at me in confusion. "He's gay?"

"No!" I nearly shrieked, shaking my head frantically. "He isn't gay. He just doesn't like girls like a normal guy should. He sees them as objects and not human beings."

Leslie made a face. "Oh."

"Go home, Leslie," I said again, this time grabbing onto her shoulder and turning her away from me. "You really just need to get some rest. You had a long day... and night."

"Right. Sleep..." she nodded, starting off away from me and toward the front exit of the school. "I've just got to get some sleep..."

I loved that girl to death, and I really hoped she wouldn't have to go through something ike this ever again.

"We should hang out today," Cassie said, suddenly coming up to me as I searched through my locker for one of my textbooks. "We could go to the mall, or just hang out at my house. We could go meet up and Derrick and Sean later, too. I invited Leslie, but she said that she wasn't feeling well."

I wasn't about to tell Cassie the real reason Leslie wasn't feeling well. I'd probably never hear the end of it from her, even if she'd been drunk countless times before.

"Sorry, but I've got to make up that test for Mr. Meyers," I informed her truthfully, finally finding the textbook before closing my locker. "I totally bombed it."

Cassie's face fell. "Oh. Well, I guess I could just hang out with Sean and Derrick on my own..."

I highly doubted she was really unhappy about that.

I shrugged, as if I was upset that I wouldn't get to see Sean and Derrick. "I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun without me."

Cassie and I said our goodbyes after that and I hurried off to Mr. Meyer's classroom. But before I could get inside, someone at their locker caught my attention.

"Hey!" I smiled, leaning against the locker next to his so he would see me. His music was blaring, but I was expecting as much. "So this is where your locker is." 

Blake smiled at me. "Yeah. It's been my locker all year."

Blake's stutter was slowly starting to go away with every day that passed. I couldn't wait to hear how his voice sounded when he didn't stammer.