Our Song (27)

My house really didn't feel like my home anymore. I felt like Blake's apartment was where I was supposed to be living, and this gigantic house was just a place that I was forced to stay at a few nights a week when I was away from Blake.

"So," my mother started one morning as I was eating breakfast, "I got a call from Cassie today."

I nearly choked on my cereal. "Really?"

My mother nodded seriously. "Yes, she did. And she had some interesting news for me."

Oh, no. I knew what this was about. I knew what she was going to say to me. Honestly, I had been expecting this ever since Blake and I had gone public about our relationship. I was surprised that Cassie hadn't called her sooner.

"Oh," I nodded as well, trying to act innocent. "What did she say?"

The frown on my mother's face didn't go away. "She informed me that you have a boyfriend and that it is the boy you were partnered with in your year-long English assignment."

I was going to kill Cassie. "Oh. Well, she would be correct."

"Well," my mother continued, and I felt like drowning myself in my cereal, "she also informed me that this boy is mentally unstable."

I slammed my spoon down without even meaning to. "He's not mentally unstable. He has schizophrenia."

My mother made a face at me, and I knew I didn't want to hear anything else she had to say. I did feel kind of bad for hiding it from her, but it was her own fault. If she wasn't so overbearing and crazy like Cassie was, I'd love to tell her everything about him.

"This boy... This... Blake," my mother said now, sneering at his name. "When you told me countless times that you've been spending the night at Leslie's, have you actually been spending the night at his apartment, which he lives in alone?"

I was seriously going to kill Cassie for this! And for Sean, for telling her these things! I was going to be grounded for the rest of my life, and I wasn't ever going to see Blake or any of my friends outside of school!

"Yes, that's where I've really been," I answered truthfully, knowing she wouldn't have believed me if I had lied to her, even if it had been truthful that I had been staying at Leslie's.

My mother looked outraged, but she didn't yell or scream at me like I thought she would. After a few moments of her looking like she was going to explode, she let out a deep breath and shook out her hands.

"I want to meet this boyfriend of yours," she finally said, a little too calm for my mother. "If you've been spending the night with him on multiple occasions, then I want to meet him. I'm sure your father would like to meet him, too."

I gulped. "Okay. You can meet him."

And my mother decided then how she would meet Blake. She said that she wanted me to invite him over for dinner, and even though that sounded like an absolute horrible experience, I couldn't tell her no. She had to meet Blake if we were to ever go farther than being boyfriend and girlfriend.

There was nothing I could do about this. My family was going to meet Blake no matter how I tried to get out of it.

Blake blinked at him when I told him in second period. "What?"

"My parents want to meet you," I repeated, even though I really didn't want to tell him. "They found out that we've been dating for a while and now they've invited you over for dinner so they can meet you."

Blake gave me a look that said he wasn't so sure about this, but I couldn't help but agree with this. No matter what, it was going to end in disaster.