Chapter Two: Orchestra

My converse squeak against the white newly waxed floors as I hurried to my class. I had exactly 20 seconds to get there before I got my first tardy in two years. I push my hand on the giant cold wood door. Once I step inside the room full of students and fragile instruments the bell rings.

I take a deep breath and hurry into the instrument where all the violins and violas are stored. Miss Smith or Miss S, gives us exactly 2 minutes to have our instruments ready to play and our music in our stands. My eyes search through the piles and piles of cases. Looking through the initials of all the charcoal colored cases i have a minute to get ready.

Finally my coffee colored eyes fall upon the case that says "AK" I take a deep sigh and grab it hurrying up to my seat. I leave the instrument room and see students with cellos in hands going to their places.

I go to my seat which is the first one to the right. I adjust the stand to fit my height because the person in the last class is a lot taller than me. I'm not even that short, i'm 5'5 which i consider a reasonable height.

The timer goes off startling me making Natalie chuckle. I shoot her a glare and this time Cora softly laughs. "Hey guys," Miss S speaks walking over to the podium. Miss S was is her mid 30's. With caramel brown hair curling up right before it hits her elbows, her humorous ways in the classroom makes her one of the most favored teachers of this school.

We all mumble some sort of greeting that makes her laugh. "Come on guys, look alive. Don't you wanna hear about your first concert of the year?" I straighten up hoping I would get a solo this year, Suddenly everyone looked more interested in what she had to say.

Miss Smith beams. "Great." Cora starts to take her cello off her shoulder and puts it to her side. I put my violin in my lap everyone doing so as well. "So our concert will be on August 25 at 7:00 as usual. Her eyes scan some more of the information printed onto the paper. "The girls will wear black dresses and the guys tuxedos like every time."

"There will only be one solo for this concert." I feel as if my heart stops for a second waiting for her to continue. She looks over my section her eyes looking straight at me. I start to smile. "Andrea, You will be the soloist of this concert." I stand up forgetting that my instrument was on my lap. Before it falls I try to grab it just making more things fall. I eventually catch it.

Miss S's hands are in front of her eyes not trying to see. "Is it broken?" She asks. "Nope, Just as when I got it." She takes her hands off her eyes and takes a deep breath. "Andrea, weve only been in school for 2 weeks and thats already happened twice. I swear youre going to be the reason I die at a young age."

I give her a apologetic smile. "Thanks for the solo?" I say but it sounds more like a question. She laughs and continues with the class. "Alright this is your new music and Andreas solo." She says handing me my music.

We had three pieces 2 pages each. My solo was only 1 page so I was kind of thankful for that. The rest of class went smoothly, She mainly worked with Violins. I always felt a little bad that violins got more attention than the violas, cellos, and basses. But most of them didn't really care they were kind of glad the attention wasn't always on them.

Orchestra was my last class of the day so after the bell rang we would go to our lockers get our stuff and head to the bus or parking lot if you had your own car. Since Natalie was the only one with a car that she got for her 16th birthday, Cora and I ride with her everyday.

Of course I had the luck of getting detention today so I couldn't go. "Hey I'll pick you up after detention if you want." Natalie says grabbing her dark brown hair and tieing up in a ponytail. "Really? Thanks." "Hey, what are friends for." I say my goodbyes to Natalie and Cora and start making my way to the detention room, If I can even find it.

------------------------------------

word count: 766

10/19/17

7:20 pm