Chapter Three: Detention

After sometime, I finally found the big wooden door with a sign screaming 'Detention' in bold words. I turn the loose knob to reveal an abandoned classroom. Mr. Lewis, the social studies teacher, was sleeping comfortably in the desks chair.

    "He's not dead." A voice behind me startles me making me drop my case and textbooks. Picking them up I turn around seeing Alexander, Valentino, and Xavier. Great. I roll my eyes and make my way to the seat closest to the window and farthest away from the teacher.

    "He has a newborn at home." Valentino adds on. I sit down onto the cold seat taking out my phone from my pocket. "You know, that's my seat." I look around and on the seat curiously searching. "Don't see your name anywhere on and around the seat.

His eyes show some unknown emotion then turns back to his normal harden expression. "Whatever, you're lucky you're hot." He mutters sitting next to me. I wrinkle my nose in confusion feeling the heat creep up to my cheeks. I search through the stacks and stacks of book in my book bag and get my journal.

"What's this?" Valentino questions. I ignore him when I hear him unlocking my violin case. I hurry to his seat and snap it away before he can open it. "No No No No No." I exclaim. "You." I say pointing to him. "Don't touch my stuff." He slowly lets it go unfolding his hands from the latch and handle. "What's in there?" He questions. I roll my eyes and undo the latches revealing the smooth shiny chocolate brown wood.

"A mini guitar?" He looks at me like i have two heads. "No. It's a violin." I say as a matter of a fact. "Ohhhh" he speaks in acknowledged. He slowly starts leaning towards Alexander and Xavier's chair. "What's a violin?" He whispers making all of us roll our eyes. "It's just another instrument." Alexander says boredly. "You dimwit." Xavier says rubbing his face with his palms.

Valentino makes a confused face probably not knowing what 'dimwit' means.  I put my violin away and made my way back to my seat. My journal isn't there anymore. A spark of panic lit up inside of me. I messily start to search my book bag and around my desk. I hear Alexander clear his throat. "September 24, 2007," I freeze up feeling beads of cold sweat falling down my back. He continues, "Dear Diary, Today my mom signed me up for violin and ballet classes. I kept telling her it was such a big waste of time but she called nonsense. Ever since da-" I quickly snatch the book close before he could read anymore.

"Hey. I was reading that." Alexander whined. "Yea your nosy self was reading my journal." I growl narrowing my eyes at them as I sit back down making sure all my stuff is close to me. "So you started taking lessons when you were what? Seven?" Xavier speaks up for the first time making me look his direction.

I nod slightly. "And do you still dance?" Alexander asks softly. I mentally roll my eyes at all the questions but decide to answer them anyway.  "Ehh. When I was eight I finally persuaded my mom to let me take regular dance classes instead of just ballet.' He nods in acknowledgment.

After the question and answer session, I stayed quiet and studied them. How Alexander's Hazel not hair laid messily above his wrinkled eyes when he laughs. How Valentino laughs with his mouth open and kind of looks like a seal on acid. And how Xavier mostly stays quiet and let's his two best friends take the wheel in the speaking department. They were all so different from Valentino being the star athlete to Xavier being one of the smartest guys in school or Alexander being the rebel or 'Bad Boy.'

I couldn't say anything because Natalie, Cora, And I were really different. With me being more artistic and Cora being on the smarter side and Natalie being a cheerleader. No one would've guessed that we have been best friends since preschool when me and Cora stopped Natalie from eating sand at the playground, We pretty much started all hanging out together.

"Hey Xavier. You think you could tutor me for some of my classes? I'm having problems in math and science and I can't risk getting a C and loose being captain of the football team."  Valentino begs his best friend running a hand through his dark hair.  

Xavier gives him a sorry look before explaining. "Sorry man, I'm already tutoring 3 people this semester." Valentino sighs banging his head against the desk and stops when he hears Mr. Lewis stir awake. "No i don't want to feed the baby." He argues before going back to sleep. As soon as he starts snoring again Valentino starts banging again  making the red mark on his forehead somehow get brighter in red.

"You know." I say. "I think I know someone who can tutor you." He stops as soon as I said that. "Really?" He asks through the desk. "Yea. My friend Cora is really good in Math and Science." His face is still connected to the compacted wood as he turns his face to me as he squishes his face even more. "Do I know her?" He asks innocency dripping onto his words.  

I shrug. "You saw her today. She was in math with us." I say cringing at the memory. Sometimes I really couldn't control my actions. I wanted to apologize but knowing them and especially Alexander, they would find satisfaction in my apology.

"Do you have a picture of her?" He asks pouting. I Grab my phone looking through my pictures looking for a cute of cora. When I finally I turn my phone so he can see it. When he sees her he sits up and turns to Alexander and Xavier. "That's the girl i was talking about this morning." He whispers or at least tries to.

The guys try to peek at the picture before I turn it off. "Don't be a idiot dude. Do you want a hot girl to tutor you or Xavier's dumbass?"    Xavier scoffs. "Me the dumbass? I'm not the one that thinks they're 19 because they count the 9 months in the womb." Valentino snickers as I look at him in disbelief. "What? No, Everyone counts the nine months. Right Andrea?" Alexander looks at me for reassurance. How does he know my name? I shake my head and mouth a 'No.'  

He narrows his eyes at me. "You're all just jealous." He says crossing his arm and pouting like a three year old. I laugh, "Yea because why wouldn't we be jealous of a oversized three year old." Before he could say anything a i get a phone call from Natalie. Everyone stops talking and look at my phone. I press answer and press it up against my ear immediately hearing cheerleaders talking in the distance. "Hey what's up?" I ask looking at the clock that said 3:45.

"Hey uh, Do you think you would be able to leave detention early? Coach let us off early since it was friday." I look at Mr. Lewis. I couldn't tell if he was still asleep or not breathing so i decided with the first option. "Yeah I'll meet you in the parking lot." "Okay let me just call Cora because she took my car." She chuckles before she hangs up.

I start gathering up my stuff and make my way to the door. "Where you going?" Alexander asks standing up. I smile. "Leaving. My rides her early." He gives me a baffled look. "Wha-What you can't just leave early." After he says that I look around the room. "Don't see anyone that can stop me." I shrug before leaving the detention room and making my way to the parking lot. I hear footsteps behind me making me turn and almost hit what looked like a brick wall.

"Thought you guys were going to stay." Alexander gives me a cheeky grin. "Don't think you're the only one allowed to break the rules around here." he says patting my head. I roll my eyes and I leave the doors of the school building. Ah, finally free. I see Natalie checking her phone before she smiles at me. Her smile quickly fades when she sees who is behind me.

She quickly grabs me by my wrist and drags me to the side. "What are they doing here?" She asks. I shrug. "I don't know. They were in detention and when I left they followed me." I turn around and see them drowing in a crowd of cheerleaders most likley flirting. When I turn around Cora is here already. "Lets just go." I say quietly as I get into the car.  When we start leavng I see the three look at the car and wave. I roll my eyes and scoot farther into my seat. What I need right now is a good nap.

Word count: 1516

11-5-17

10:58 pm