6 | motown benefit

6 | MOTOWN BENEFIT

Calista's tour ended quicker than expected

Calista's tour ended quicker than expected. Sook after her last concert in New York, she flew back to California to attend benefits she had agreed to perform at a while ago. The first benefit being one for Motown Records. Although Calista was never signed on with Motown, many new artists, particularly people of color artists, were being signed on to this label and she wanted to support the company.

As soon as Calista finished her brief and simple performance, she was seated in the front row of the audience. She watch the rest of the show as multiple artists graced the stage with their wonderful voices. The last person to perform in the auditorium was Michael.

He was sparkling brighter than a star with his glimmering wardrobe, of course, and was able to capture the attention of the audience through it. He danced and sang to Billie Jean, his hit single from Thriller. His moves were the same, perfect dances he performed since he was a kid— however, he threw in a little twist when in the middle of the song, she performed some kind of spacewalk, which was to be proclaimed the moonwalk soon enough.

His weightless gliding across the stage astonished the crowd, leaving them all baffled at how he could slide across the floor like that. Calista clapped for him. "I knew it." She whispered under her breath, recalling when she told Michael that he was going to be such a wonderful and unique artist. Michael, from the stage, caught a glimpse of Calista and smiled widely at her. He seemed to be getting more comfortable around her, less shy.

* * *

After the benefit was over, everyone could not stop talking about Michael's performance. Calista knew that it would go down in the history books for being iconic, but because she knew how much Michael hated her boosting— she didn't mention it when he came over.

Michael pulled Calista into a warm hug, absorbing the sweet scent of her perfume. "You look so beautiful tonight." Michael complimented, biting his lower lip.

Calista found his sudden change in behavior shocking. She was taken aback for a moment then recollected herself. "Thank you, Michael." She smiled, pushing some of her large hair behind her ear.

"I was meaning to ask you if you wanted to film a music video for me— for Thriller? All of the auditions I've seen so far have been terrible, and I think you'd be perfect for the part." Michael asked, scratching the back of his neck.

Calista shrugged. She really never collaborated with someone in a music video before, so she decided that it would be fun. "I'll just have Penelope write it in my calendar." She indirectly agreed to the plan.

For the rest of the night the two chatted, just like any other night. Typically, they would chat like they were acquaintances— however, that night, Calista found herself lost in Michael's eyes, seemingly entranced under his spell and Michael could stop lingering his eyes on Calista's beauty. Of course he had noticed how pretty she was before, but not until that night did he feel an actual attraction to her. For the longest time, he saw Calista as the superstar that was way out of his league, but now that he had his own successful career— he felt as if he could finally approach her, especially since they had a lot more in common now.