22 | welcome the twins

22 | WELCOME THE TWINS

Calista seemed to find comfort in hanging out with "chill" people

Calista seemed to find comfort in hanging out with "chill" people. They were relaxed and made her feel a lot more relaxed. Although, they weren't relaxed all on their own, they had the help of marijuana. By watching them, Calista had grown eager to birth the twins to be able to try the weed.

Michael didn't know of her new "friends" and if he did he wouldn't have allowed Calista to join them whatsoever. It was foolish and childish of her to surround herself with such people, but it was the only way she seemed to find peace within herself.

It was January, but the mild temperatures of California didn't reflect winter like New York usually did. It was sunny and warm, unlike New York that was bitterly cold. Calista loved the cold, but she didn't mind the warm weather.

Calista was to be due in about a week and her body seemed to already be giving out. Her lips were extremely plump, her stomach distended so much that any movement she made it hurt, her feet were so swollen she could barely walk and her uterus was sore and heavy.

Calista was laying in bed, listening to Michael's soft breaths when one of the babies kicked her hard in the gut. Ever since she started hanging out with her "friend group" the twins had been acting up. It was as if they were punishing her for her actions.

Despite the slight annoyance of the pain they bestowed upon her, Calista was ready to see their little faces. Because they were so close together, the doctor couldn't tell the gender of either one of the babies so Calista was excited to see what they were.

As Calista was attempting to fall asleep, she felt a contraction beginning to occur. It was usual for contractions to begin happening a few days before the babies' arrival, however, the contractions Calista began to experience came far too quickly and far too painfully. They occurred in intervals of two minutes. Her water still hadn't broken, but the abrupt contractions were far too close together to be a false contraction.

Calista shook Michael's shoulder vehemently. Michael shot up from the bed. "What's wrong?" He asked, feeling around the bed for Calista's arm.

"They're coming." Calista spoke through gritted teeth.

Michael jumped out of bed and helped Calista out. He led her out of the bedroom and into the garage. He helped her into the car then sped away to their private clinic. As soon as they arrived, the nurses prepped Calista, telling her that it was fine that the contractions occurred abruptly.

"Sometimes, and this especially happens around second-hand or first-hand drug users, contractions don't give warning signs. That doesn't mean anything will happen to the babies though." The nurse said nonchalantly.

Michael eyed Calista questionably. "Are you a drug user, Mrs. Jackson?" The nurse asked as she laid Calista onto the bed.

Calista shook her head no. "Are you ever around anyone that uses drugs, Mrs. Jackson?" Another nurse narrowed her eyes curiously at Calista. Calista gulped.

Michael noticed and instantly widened his eyes. "Who?!" He exclaimed.

One of the nurses shushed him. "You shouldn't stress her, it'll make the labor much more painful and prolonged." She said as she stretched on some gloves.

Michael nodded begrudgingly, but memorized the questions he had for her interrogation after the babies' arrival. The labor when by quickly and pain free. When she got her hands on the children, Michael began to bombard her with questions.

"Who have you been with that does drugs?!" He whisper-yelled.

Calista looked down at the first baby, realizing that they were both baby girls. "They're both girls, Michael!" Calista's heart warmed.

"Don't change the subject, Calista!" He hissed.

Calista shrugged. "Just some friends." She fiddled with the first baby's blanket.

"Why haven't I met them? Why have you been hanging out with them?!" Michael spat. He was furious to know that Calista was risking their children's lives and almost ruined her own by hanging out with these so-called "friends."

Calista looked daringly up at him. "Because I knew you'd act like this. Because I don't have to feel so tense, like I do when I'm around you and Milani!" Calista rebutted.

Michael looked down angrily at her. "You could've killed them!" Michael informed.

Calista's mouth went dry. She looked at both of her new children and almost reared up. "I'm sorry." She allowed a tear to slip past her eye.

Michael huffed. "Just— just promise me that you'll never hang out with those people or do the things that they were doing ever again." Michael bit his lip, regretting how he had spoken to Calista.

Calista's bottom lip quivered. "I promise." She nodded.

Michael wiped away her tear and pressed his lips to hers, something he hadn't done in so long, allowing them to revive their love for each other for a brief moment. Ever since Calista had been robbed, their relationship had been crumbling. They didn't feel well with one another, they felt as if they couldn't be anything but tense or else they wouldn't be able to protect each other.