20 | 1989 vmas

20 | 1989 VMAS

Michael, Calista and Milani walked through the red carpet as a family into the 1989 MTV Video Music Awards Show

Michael, Calista and Milani walked through the red carpet as a family into the 1989 MTV Video Music Awards Show. Calista was to perform a quick five minute show, but she planned for it to be an iconic performance. She had been rehearsing day and night, it truly was difficult rehearsing in an element unknown to most dancers: water.

Calista took a few shots on the red carpet on her own, however, for the most part, the Jacksons only took pictures as one entity. "Over here, Calista!" "Over here little Milani!" "Big smile for the camera, Milani!" "Michael, over here!" The cameramen constantly were shouting, frightening Milani a bit.

Milani tightened her grip on her mother's hand, tugging at the hem of her dress begging to go. "The lights are too bright, Mommy. Can we go?" She asked.

Calista's faux smile didn't budge. She simply nodded at Milani and walked along until they entered the auditorium. Calista was instantly greeted with stage managers that sent her immediately backstage to prepare for her performance, which would kickstart the night in ten minutes.

Calista entered her dressing room, slipped on her costume and hugged. She mentally prepared herself to blow away the crowd with her creative performance. "You're on in two!" Another stage manager shouted from outside her room, urging her to get into position. Calista yanked herself out of her own thoughts and scurried out of the room, running behind the stage so that she could enter at the appropriate spot at the appropriate time.

Before she knew it, her music began to play, and the crew vanished from the stage leaving Calista with her dancers. The screen that concealed Calista was raised and an uproar of applause sounded from the crowd at the sight. Calista smiled then brought the microphone up to her lips and began to sing.

Tryna rain, tryna rain on the thunder

Calista walked forward onto the water filled stage.

Tell the storm I'm new
I'ma walk, I'ma march on the regular
Painting white flags blue
Lord forgive me, I've been running
Running blind in truth
I'ma rain, I'ma rain on this bitter love
Tell the sweet I'm new
I'm telling these tears, "Go and fall away, fall away"
May the last one burn into flames

Calista's dancers got into position, the began to kick at the water in their routine manner.

Freedom! Freedom! I can't move
Freedom, cut me loose!
Freedom! Freedom! Where are you?
Cause I need freedom too!
I break chains all by myself
Won't let my freedom rot in hell
Hey! I'ma keep running
Cause a winner don't quit on themselves

Calista began to dance in the water as she had been choreographed to do. She kicked, threw and hit the water all while receiving cheers from the crowd for the spectacular show. At the very end of the song, Calista's dancers exited the stage leaving Calista on stage with the dimmed lights. "Before I go, I'd like to thank every single one of you that have made it possible for me to become who I am today. You're my family. And because of that, I'd love to share some news with you guys if that's okay?" Calista asked the crowd, receiving shrieks of yeses from the crowd.

Calista giggled, then placed her hand on her stomach. "Michael and I have been blessed for a second time, two times over. We love you!" Calista shouted out to the crowd, blowing kisses as they screamed as if they were at a Calista concert instead of an award show.

* * *

Throughout the night, Michael and Calista were being hugged and congratulated for being pregnant with twins. Many people offered advice on what to name the two younglings, but then Calista had to remind them that they'd only name the babies once they found out their genders.

Overall, the night was filled with happiness and joy. It had all went by smoothly and well... at least, until Calista arrived at the hotel.