Hurt

AN: I am so very sorry for the long delay... these last few chapters are proving to be the hardest to write. I know how I want this to end but getting there has not been easy. I have written this chapter like fifty different ways and now just got what I feel is the best one. With that being said please enjoy and comment when you can... xoxoxox

After talking for a bit, they sat there together in his chair and she fell asleep not long after. Elena stood there sleeping in Lorenzo's arms while he waited on the call from Enzo. The two hours that went by felt more like days to him. The only thing that kept Lorenzo calm through the wait was the even breathing of Elena's sleeping form in his arms. As he sat there waiting his mind began thinking back to what others have told him as he looked down at her beautiful face. He was hotheaded, impulsive and a cold-hearted monster. He knew all that and it wasn't anything new, he had always been that way. The thing that bother him was what Diaz and Dante had said.

Elena was loyal and too good for him... he didn't deserve her or her loyalty... was he being selfish and ruining her life by claiming her as his queen, didn't she deserve better. She may have not chose to marry him in the first place but she did choose to stay when he asked what she wanted. She began to stir in his arms snapping him from his thoughts. Lorenzo knew thoughts like that would lead him nowhere good. He leaned his head down and placed a soft kiss to her forehead as she opened her eyes. They may have been right about all of it but that wasn't going to change the fact that he wasn't ever letting her go.

"I should get you home." Lorenzo said softly.

Elena nodded her head and with his help she was back on her feet. Lorenzo leaned down and picked up the phone he discarded earlier just as it began to ring. To his relief, the call was from Enzo, Angelo had taken two bullets but was going to make it. With the way things had gone down Roberto didn't have an exact number of how many men they took out. The Marzano family loss three of their own men in the shootout and a few more were injured. The numbers could have been much higher and they all knew it, Enzo also knew he could have lost both his boys in the club.

After he ended his call, the two of them went back out to the casino floor where his men were waiting on him. Elena sat at the bar while Lorenzo and the guys talked about his call with Enzo. The mood in the room went somber with the news they were given. It didn't take them long after that to get out of there and back to the compound. The compound was like a small village that sat on private land, several small houses dotted the land that he let his most trusted men live in. When they reached the guard's gate the men that didn't live there left while the rest passed through.

The days that followed were stressful for everyone. Every move Lorenzo or his men made were being watched closely by the cops and the Vargas family. Elena was placed under extra protection, she basically had an entire entourage now. Gino was still head of her protection detail but now he had three other men that traveled with them if she chose to leave. Lorenzo wasn't taking any chances when it came to her safety especially after what happened on the island.

Once Angelo was in the clear Enzo sent both his boys and underboss back north to protect their own. Over the days that passed the bloodshed from the war was felt through the city. Lorenzo's organization had lost a few men along with Enzo but there numbers were nowhere near what Juan Vargas was losing. Just as he promised Lorenzo had watched as Juan's empire was torn apart piece by piece. The end was coming and he knew it in his gut. Lorenzo was just hoping that it ended the way he planned... the Vargas empire ceasing to exist and any threat to his or Elena's life was gone.

Elena had spent most of her days and nights alone because of all the problems they were having and he hated that. Lorenzo was gone a lot and came home long after Elena had gone to sleep. When he would climb in bed Lorenzo would always pull her back against him holding her through the night. He wished he could see her more than he was but this war was taking a lot out of him. He was on hand for a lot of the hits, Lorenzo wasn't taking any chances in case Juan ended up being around.