3 - Melancholia

I woke up groggily, shuffling around the bed in a desperate attempt to stretch out my tired limbs without trying to wake Ponyboy. I rubbed my eyes heavily, getting a bit dizzy at the feeling, and saw Pony already awake next to me, playing with his hair while reading a thick looking novel. I smiled at him, and once he caught onto my gaze, he did the same. The windows were open and gave such a serene feeling, it reminded me of early summer days of childhood when I'd wake to the sound of owls and woodpeckers and just a slight breeze in the humid air. It made the scenery between the two of us that much calmer, I appreciated this moment, despite the heavily weighed emptiness that left me aching for the warmth from the sun blazing in. Whilst I looked outside, I yawned and made a sound in the back of my throat, and he starts to laugh.

"What's so damn funny, Pony?" I was oblivious and he laughed again harder this time, biting his lip and shaking his head. He was so beautiful.

"No, tell me!" I protested while I sat up, he shook his head again. I groaned and pounced on him this time, straddling his hips. I threw my hands to his belly and tickled him, he started to yell at the top of his lungs and I was attempting to stay in place because he was trying to kick me off while I was laughing. I finally gave up because he was practically screaming 'Mercy' whilst simultaneously waking the whole neighborhood.

"I give up! I give up!" He breathed out, laughing. I smirked and put my hands on my hips firmly, still straddling him, but neither of us was going to comment on it, I honestly think he didn't care.

"So are you gonna tell me why ya laughed at me?" I asked him and he snorted.

"It's stupid . . . I just thought, when you made that noise, you kinda sounded like a baby dinosaur." He said, and I stared at him before bursting in laughter myself.

"A baby dinosaur? Really? You're so lame!" I giggled and he shrugged smiling, his grin grew wider once Darry yelled from downstairs that it was time for breakfast. He threw on some different clothes and the shirt was a bit tight on him, same with the skinny jeans, making my eyes trail down to-

"You stayin' for breakfast?" He asked me,

"I don't know, would you want me to stay?" I asked.

"Is that really a question? If it were my decision, you'd already be living with us." I was shocked at this, but not really, 'cause Darry had said it countless amounts of times but Ponyboy had never said it to me. I laughed and nodded along though. Maybe when I move out, I'll just live with the Curtis' and wait for Pony to finish school. 'Cause I know I sure won't.

School for me was a waste of time, Sure I was only nineteen but, I never really understood the point of it all, I always had bad grades and I flunked at least six times in the last decade. Decade, ew, wrong word. I'm not that old.

"Golly, well . . . thank you, Ponyboy." I smiled and he grabbed my hand and ran down the steps with me behind him. He let go and ran to the coffee machine, but pouted when there was nothing in there.

"Darry," He groaned, "Where's the coffee? You said you'd make some," He asked them, his bottom lip was puckered a bit, giving the whole toddler affect to his features and I almost laughed, if it weren't for me gazing at his damn lips.

"I know I'm sorry, I didn't realize we used it all up yesterday until now. But you and Johnny could walk to the store, and see if they got some left." Soda said and Pony's eyes lit up and nodded,

"How much is coffee?" I asked, pulling out my wallet.

"Johnny no, I got it." Darry told me, and I shrugged. He pulled out a ten and gave it to me.

"Get some filters too, okay?" I nodded and Ponyboy latched his arm around my shoulder and we headed out. The store was only a mere 10 minute walk so we could manage. Ponyboy started rambling then, about how he's excited for next rumble.

The rumble to me was absolutely stupid, but it was so much fun. Any bent up anger, would all be expressed through a Soc, you could knock them out and it would be fair, because it was a rumble. And this year, no weapons were allowed, just skin. So I would definitely be in this one, last year they allowed knives, so I didn't go. From experience, I knew how they went with knives, the thought alone made me shiver.

I could fight, I knew I could, but I'd never fight you if you threatened me with a knife, cowardly, I know. But once, My mom pulled a knife on my brother and the next day, he died. Not from the stabbing, but from suicide, she drove him to the edge, my father was never around to notice him, so when he is home, all they do is yap about the same old things he never really wanted to talk about.

When we arrived at the store, it was just us, and a few other adults in the store with us. Pony ran straight to the coffee, got a big bucket of 'Folgers' and some coffee filters. I went up to the counter and asked for two packs of sticks and he got them, and Pony came up and put the stuff on the counter along with some shaving razors.

"What are ya gonna do with those?" I snorted, and he chuckled before responding.

"They're for when I start growin'," He stated and I shook my head. They gave us a bag and the man gave me the packs. I said thanks and walked out, Ponyboy close behind me. When we walked out, we were met with some Socs, looking to get in the store. This was our territory though, they knew to let us through, but I couldn't help but feel a little scared. I saw a pocket knife in the back of one of their jean pockets and my breath hitched.

"Scram," I said, and they moved a bit but one of them scowled.

"Just keep walking, greaser. Keep walking. . . " One of them trailed, I rolled my eyes at them and stuck one of the cigarettes in my mouth and lit it, They seemed like they didn't want a fight right now, so they left us alone, and surprisingly, let us through. Ponyboy sighed in relief once we were home, well, back. Not mine just yet,

"Oh my god! You shoulda seen Johnny! He stood there all tuff and acted like nothin'! He looked as cool as ever! Like in a movie! He told them to scram, Darry! It was so rad!" Pony rambled as I made some coffee for the both of us, Sodapop came up to me and gave me a noogie and Darry patted me on the back, proudly.

"One day, he'll be a real movie star, huh Johnnycakes?" Darry smirked playfully and I shrugged them off, and smiled.

"Shit, guys. I gotta get home before my momma realizes I'm gone." I told them and Ponyboy frowned, he stood up and walked me to the door, before deciding he should just come with me.

"You sure?" He asked and I nodded sadly, it's been awfully good to spend time with the Curtis' but now I gotta go back, and after my chores and such are done, I'll come back and we'll meet in the lot, like we did last night, and the night before, and the night before that. But I enjoyed it nonetheless, and I'm more than sure that Ponyboy does as well.

"You need anything though?" I thought for a minute, which was dangerous for me, to be honest.

"Could I get one of those shavers? I think I'm growing some stuff on my chin, don't really like it." I said, and he nodded.