16; we don't deal with outsiders very well

It could have been minutes, or hours, hell it felt like days before we finally decided to get up and get ready. I was exhausted, even though we slept for more than 10 hours, I guess it was because we were on a rave, we were high when we passed out so it could've been our minds over-working themselves. I sighed, and got up. Unfortunately, we didn't pack much clothes. I had brought my bag but they were only the money, and the heater in there.

I honestly don't think that I should tell Ponyboy about the heater, what if he freaked and went back home? Would he leave me so quick? I glanced at him, while he was making his shoe laces tighter, tugging them and looping them around. Would he believe me if I told him I wouldn't ever use it? I started to shake, my breathing got faster. I was over thinking so much.

"Hey, Johnny. You alright?" I saw him look at me in confusion and I gulped, trying to keep my stomach settled. I inhaled through my nose, and exhaled through my mouth. I closed my eyes as I repeated the actions.

"Johnny?" He asked once more, I felt the bed shift as he sat next to me.

"I-I'm okay, Pone. Just a little over whelmed is all." I reassured him, but he wasn't buying it.

"Over whelmed about what? You can tell me anything, you know that." He put his hand on my shoulder and I immediately relaxed, letting his touch soothe my nerves.

"You promise you won't up and leave?" His eyes widened and he looked taken back,

"Johnathan Cade we are in this together, I wouldn't ever leave you in a time of need, ever. Who do you take me for?" He asked, and I sighed. I guess he was right,

"I . . . I got a heater, in that bag over there. I was scared that you would be afraid of me but, I'm telling you that I wouldn't ever use it unless we needed it, I promise." I didn't want to look up, but I did anyway. I saw him look at me like it was nothing.

"Is that it?" He asked, I could've choked. That was all he had to say? He wasn't afraid? He wasn't going to ask where I got it from?

"That's it." I stated and he moved closer, hugging me tightly, once again calming me down.

"Well for one, I know you Johnnycakes, you wouldn't ever hurt me or anyone for that matter on purpose. It's okay," I smiled at him and he returned it, I cupped his face with my hands and kissed him, the feeling still new to me. It was almost like I craved the feeling of his lips on mine. I pulled away and ran my finger along his jaw line.

"Who would I be without you," I whispered, his eyes locked with my own. He smiled and ruffled my hair.

"C'mon, we got things to do! Places to see!" He smiled, and he dragged me outside. We walked out hand in hand, not a care in the world for who glanced at us. There was a man coming out of his room, the one right next to ours, his eyes bloodshot and puffy, like he was crying before. Ponyboy noticed him as well, and we glanced at each other, giving a look.

"You okay there, mister?" Ponyboy asked, the man had gotten out a cancer stick and lit it, he breathed in the smoke and faked a smile.

"I am, no need to worry." This man looked like he was in his mid twenties, his hair was a dark auburn, his features were shrivelled and petite, I could have guessed this was Dallas but, his eyes were soft and neutral, and his lips were a bit bigger. His nose looked crooked, like it had been broken more than once. He looked like a greaser from the way his hair was styled and the way he dressed, the leather jacket hung up on him.

"Are you sure? Me and My friend Johnny here noticed you looked a little out of it." The man sniffled once and moved his shoulders a little, almost like he was trying to ease the tension in his chest. I knew how that felt.

"Johnny? Nice name, Kid. What's yours?" He glided the question, making a conversation. Ponyboy frowned, he knew what was coming.

"Ponyboy, yours?" The man's eyes lit up, and his eyes held the amusing look that Pony was oh so used to.

"The names, Axel." He smiled, a real one this time. I loved his name, it was dreamy and bad ass. He looked an Axel, if that made any sense.

"Why do you seem so worked up, Axel?" I asked, it was the first time I spoke up so he was surprised to hear my voice. He sighed and gave a look that told me 'oh well' like he was giving in.

"My pops kicked me out, and I have to sell my car for some money, but nobody is looking for a car right now and its just real frustrating because my fucking boyfriend won't-" He stopped abruptly, and his eyes widened in fear at what he just admitted. It made me want to fucking cry, he was scared now, all because he admitted that he had a boyfriend. Why can't we all just be happy with who we want to be.

Me and Ponyboy gave no reaction though, no look of surprise, no gasp of shock just mere concern for the man in front of us. We didn't give a shit that he had a boyfriend, I mean yeah, It was rare to find homos around these parks but it was a thing, it wasn't unnoticed by the two of us.

"Continue, Axel." Ponyboy said and he stuttered and he looked as if he was gonna cry again, so I stepped forward.

"Hey, it's alright. You can tell us," I said and he looked up warily, he looked as if he was ready for beating. His shoulders were tense, and hell his whole body was.

"You're not-" He started but Ponyboy cut him off

"We're not gonna judge you or anything, or beat you up for that matter. We don't care, I can't say that we aren't guilty for it as well so . . . " I smiled then, and grabbed Ponyboy's hand. Axel smiled wide then and he looked like he was just gonna burst in tears.

"Oh god, I was so scared for a minute. I thought you guys were gonna beat me to a pulp." I shook my head and he sighed.

"We wouldn't ever intentionally hurt someone." I said, and he furrowed his brows.

"Where are you two from, you both look like a couple of greasers." He said and I sighed,

"Oklahoma, Tulsa." Ponyboy said and he nodded. I thought for a minute before speaking up,

"You said something about a car-"

"Yeah, I got one 'round back. I'm selling it, but no one's really interested." His eyes saddened and I wanted to punch a wall. I hated when other people were sad, they didn't deserve to be like that. No one did.

"I'll buy it," I blurted, his eyes widened and I saw Ponyboy smile wide and nod fast, like he agreed.

"What?" He breathed, I shrugged and he laughed loudly, almost in disbelief.

"You'd do that?" He asked, and I nodded, proud to make him happy again.

"How much are you selling it for?" I asked him and he stuttered out the price,

"500, I know its alot but it could really help me out-" I stopped him,

"No worries," I said and slung the bag onto the ground. I was gonna carry that thing everywhere. I zipped it open, and ripped the rubber band that was holding the money together off and took a couple of hundreds out. I handed it to him without hesitating but he did,

"This isn't some sick trick, is it?" He asked, and I shook my head and smiled.

"Of course not, where's the car."