/23/

Chapter 23

'I like
'em insane'

The pack horrible is deadly quiet, not a person in sight

The pack horrible is deadly quiet, not a person in sight. We venture further, looking for a doctor or a nurse before anything gets way out of hand.

Lea's had trembles as we start to reach the last few rooms and she pushes open the door, inhaling sharply.

No-one.

She turns to me, her whole body shaking. "Where's my Dad?" She starts breathing fast and I do the same as what she did to me.

I approach her slowly, hugging her. "We'll find him. Calm. Inhale, exhale."

"Like I haven't been doing that all my life! Just, come one. Let's go. I will find him." She continues to whisper to herself and we exit the bland room, ready to enter the next one.

A slow but hopeful Alpha appears behind us in his wheelchair, wheeling to us. "Anyone?"

We both shake our heads in sync and Lea opens the next door, sighing in relief. She runs in and I see her hug her Dad tightly, crying.

"I thought you were dead Dad! I couldn't find you!"

He hushes her, stroking her back and hugging her back just as tight. I wish I could be like that to my family. I wish.

The image reminds me of my own baby. My own dead baby. Unconsciously, I step away from the Alpha and continue to watch the reunion.

"The Alpha's injured! We need to help. We don't have an heir yet."

He nods and gets to work, doing the magic in his hands that neither I or Lea possess. In an hour, Silas is professionally wrapped up, hooked up and looks better generally.

He smiles when I walk in and goes to grab my hand. Pulling it away quickly, I sit beside him, speechless yet again.

"I just wanted to let you know that-" I sigh and inhale deeply. "-that everything that happened in the forest was a mistake. The mate bond had influenced me and I didn't want you to die. But I don't love you. And I don't think I ever will love you."

In that moment, I realise that this is worse than making him love me and then break his heart. Because I showed that I cared. And now, I'm showing that I don't.

The table beside him becomes suddenly so interesting and I stare it down, practically burning holes into the wood surface.

"W-what?"

I feel his heart break and all his emotions flood my sense. Shock, confusion, anger, heartbreak and betrayal.

My eyes droop and I close them for a second, letting them take away my invisible pain.