/27/

Chapter 27

'I'm sitting
eye wide open
but I got
one thing stuck
in my mind'

I move back quietly and slowly, watching her face for any sign of murder

I move back quietly and slowly, watching her face for any sign of murder. She's the Queen, she can kill me with the snap of her fingers.

But she does something totally unexpected. Her eyes soften and she holds her larger hands in mine.

"You gasped when you saw the portrait. You saw him! As soon as I saw you look at the portrait, I knew! I knew you had seem him on your travels! Do you know where he is? D-do you?"

Her voice cracks at the end and she wobbles slightly, using me to lean on. I awkwardly pat her back, not knowing how to treat a Royal. A Queen is crying on my shoulder. I'm pretty sure a rogue has never had the chance to say that before.

"It's just so hard, you know? He's been gone so long and I know it's my fault. I have searched far and wide for him and I try to be the Alpha Queen he wanted me to be but its just so hard."

The end comes out as a whisper and this time I hug her truly, massaging her back.

"I know how you feel. I too feel so lost. Yeah my situation is miles different for my yours and my mate is right here, by my side but I know. I do. Because I don't know if I should accept him. Because he killed a lot of people I loved."

She smiles and rubs the tears escaping from my eyes with her thumb. "I guess Queens aren't as strong as they act."

"Queens?"

The plural catches me off and I tilt my head slightly to the side, my eyebrows scrunched up.

"Yes Queens because you are a Queen in your own way. Never forget that."

She wipes her face one more time, this time the mean look back on her face. Then she walks away as if nothing ever happened.

Well that was odd.