Chapter - 4

Edited

Zeyad was trying to fix his phone when Rehan came down the stairs in a rush. He stopped to spare one last look at him and then he was out the door.

Zeyad was about to resume back to mend his phone when he heard some commotion coming from upstairs.
He walked near the stairs to hear better.

"Mariam!!" Tanzeem shrieked. "Help, somebody!"

Mariam? What happened to her?
Oh, Allah! Please let her be okay.

Zeyad ran up the stairs, straight to Mariam's bedroom with his father and Mr. Waseem hot on his heels. The door to her room was open and they walked in. Crouched near the bed were Tanzeem and Khadija, Mariam cradled in Khadija's arms.

"What happened?" Omar, Mariam's father asked as he rushed towards his daughter.

"I don't know, Mamu. I came in here to check when I saw Rehan Bhai walking out. When I got in Aapa was swaying on her feet and was about to fall, I caught her before she fell and hurt herself." Khadija explained looking scared for her sister.

"We should put her on the bed," Zeyad suggested and moved to lift her up but stopped.
"May I?" He asked her parents. "Please, that would be better," Tanzeen said and moved out of his way.

He crouched next to her where she was cradled in Khadija's arms and looked at her face. She looked pained and troubled.

He carefully put his right arm under her legs and left arm under her shoulders to pick her up bridal style and laid her down on the bed, tucking a pillow under her head.
She was very light. Like a feather.

"Is she okay? Should we call a doctor?" Fatima asked looking worried too.

Zeyad was angry. He was really angry and he blamed them all for this. If they had just told her about this arrangement, all of this could have been avoided.  He couldn't understand why he felt so protective of her. They weren't even married yet. And he highly doubted that they ever would be now.

"I think we should all wait outside, let her have some rest. Besides, I'd like to speak with you all for a moment." He instructed, his tone authoritative leaving no space for negotiations. He looked every bit of the composed businessman that he was.

Everyone walked out of the room except Khadija who stayed back with Mariam.

They all moved to the study and took a seat on the couches. Zeyad didn't sit with them as he paced the study and all the elders watched him anxiously. His parents knew very well that he hardly ever lost his temper and that when he did, nothing or no one could calm him down. Omar also knew better than to interrupt him.

"I don't understand this," he began speaking after a few minutes that felt like forever.

"How can you do this to me? To her?
First of all, she has no idea who I am and what I am here for. Secondly, she has a fiancé that she clearly loves and who loves her, and lastly, she is too young. Like, ten years younger to me."

"I do not mean to disrespect you, Mr. And Mrs. Waseem, but do you know how much like a fool I felt when I found out that that girl," he said pointing towards her room, "out there had no idea about this whole situation".

"I'm sorry, son." Mr. Waseem spoke up, "We should have warned her first hand." He apologized.

"Do not apologize to me, Sir. Please apologize to your daughter. She deserves it." Zeyad said calmly. "Tell her why this was actually happening in the first place. Talk to her and explain to her everything."