Chapter - 6

Dedicated to niloferhsn_!! As  promised❤❤😚

Edited

"I should go back," Mariam said as she pulled back from Rehan, feeling a little shy.

"So soon? You only just came here, Mari. Stay. Have lunch with me?" Rehan asked hopefully. Hoping against hope to elongate the limited time that, they had.

"I can't. I have to meet someone"

"Who?"

"Zeyad," she said and mentally winced when she saw Rehan's crumbled expression making her heart settle in the pit of her stomach.

"Right. Yeah, you should hurry up then. Do you want me to arrange a ride for you?" He asked coldly, distancing himself again from her. 'Damn that hurt'

"No need. I came here with Kumar Uncle, he's waiting for me," She said before turning around and walking towards the door, but stopped and gave a last glance back to Rehan.
"I care about you Rehan and I understand this is difficult for you too. But I hope we can still be friends. Allah Hafiz"

With that, Mariam walked out of his office and possibly out of his life for good within five minutes and was on her way back to her house. She couldn't hold up her tears anymore and they fell shamelessly as she cried her eyes out. 'What am I doing?' She thought to herself, still unsure of her decision. 'Is it even right? Is this all worth this pain, heartache, and guilt? The guilt of breaking Rehan's heart?'

"We're here, child" Mariam heard her Uncle speak and looked at him. His soft eyes smiling at him. "Thank you, Uncle",

"My pleasure. You'll be fine," he told her confidently. "You're doing the right thing"
With that said she got off and entered the house, feeling a little better.

"Salams, Mummy," she said as she found her mother in the living room watching t.v.

"Walekum Assalam, Mariam. What took you so long? You should've been here thirty minutes ago." Tanzeem enquired in the frantic tone that she always used whenever she was nervous or stressed.

"Mummy. Calm down" she said calmly "I'd gone to meet Rehan. After that day I hadn't seen him or heard from him."

"I understand that you still like him, Mariam. But you can't just up and go see him. You are not engaged to him anymore. You're to be with another man now" her mother reminded her the unforgettable. It was a harsh reality and it hurt. It was true that Mariam felt an undeniable attraction towards Zeyad and it made her feel as if she were cheating on Rehan and their love. As if it wasn't even there. But deep down in her heart, she knew that her heart still belonged to him.

"I know, Mummy. I do. But I can't just ignore him and his feelings. He'll always be my friend married or not. I'm going to get ready now. Zeyad will be here any minute."

Her mother wanted to say more on the topic; about how she shouldn't be so reckless in making such decisions. But she refrained herself and let her daughter have some time to think properly.

Mariam went to her room and dropping her bag, immediately began looking for the right outfit. She didn't want to be overdressed or underdressed either. Skimming through her huge double cupboards, she settled on some beige pants and a  long light blue Kurta along with a floral scarf. She freshened up in her bathroom quickly as she didn't have much time to take a bath. Once washed up, she put on her clothes and did her hair in a side braid.

For make-up she put on some kohl and gloss and wore her favorite Ck perfume, completing the look with a pair of nude wedges. She checked herself up in her full-length mirror satisfied with her look. It was elegant and sophisticated and perfect for a coffee date. Just when she went to pick up her sling bag, she stopped and wore a pair of diamond studs that Shehnaaz, her sister had gifted her.