Chapter - 8

Dedicated to sameshaikh123

The drive to the hotel was spent in silence. Mariam was quite excited to meet her to-be 'son'. To get to know him and hopefully spend some time with him.

Mariam had always wanted children of her own. She couldn't understand what it was that attracted her towards children.

Maybe it was their innocence that, shone brightly on their beautiful faces. Whatever it was, Mariam just completely adored them. No matter whose children they were. She loved Zahra, Shehnaaz's daughter just like her own. And now she couldn't help but feel extremely delighted to meet baby Zahaan.

While Mariam was busy in her own little, happy bubble, Zeyad was downright nervous. He was nervous because Zahaan had never met anyone before except for his father, grandparents, and his nanny, Stacy and Zeyad preferred it that way.

He didn't like it when celebrities or social elites flaunted their children and introduced them to publicity at such young ages.

Him being one of the famous and successful businessmen, Zeyad had his fair share of stardom.
Many Canadian high-class families had approached him for the hands of their daughters in marriage.

But, of course, Zeyad refused them all. None of the women were what he was looking for. He wanted his wife to be sweet, loving, caring, understanding, and most importantly a practicing Muslim.
He wanted her to be a good person and to be the best mother to his son, Zahaan.

Zeyad removed his gaze from the road straight ahead and looked over at Mariam. She was looking out of the window, at the busy streets of Mumbai. She looked so peaceful and happy. Like, meeting your to-be husband's son was the most exciting thing in the world. Like, she couldn't wait to get over there and shower him with unlimited kisses and love.

Zeyad sighed. As the drive to their hotel became shorter and shorter, his anxiousness grew higher, his mind filling with all kinds of questions and 'what ifs'.

"I am so excited to finally meet him," Mariam spoke, bringing Zeyad out of his depressive thoughts.

"I am also really glad that you actually agreed to do this," she added.

"That is no issue. Of course, I would have agreed to it, Mariam. You are going to be his mother and Zahaan needs to meet his mother." He said smiling, but to Mariam, his smile seemed less bright and more forced.

Something felt wrong in the way his eyes looked worried.

Like, something was troubling him but, Mariam couldn't place her finger on what exactly was it.
Was he not ready for this? Did he not wish to have them both meet each other? Thought Mariam.

Finally developing some courage and voicing her thoughts, she spoke up- "Is something wrong? Zeyad?"

The car came to a sudden halt, only, it was not sudden. They had reached their destination and Zeyad looked even more tensed than before if, that was even possible.

"....we uh-we can go back if you are not ready for me to meet him, I understand," Mariam whispered sadly.

Zeyad looked at her and felt like a completely heartless person. He was making her feel undeserving and it wasn't his intention. If anything, he wanted them to meet each other and like one another.

"No, Mariam. It's not like that. You have to believe me when I say, that I have never let anyone other than my parents and myself near Zahaan. He is very important to me. He is the only thing I have left as a part of my late wife."