Chapter - 11

It was a week later that, both the families; the Waseems and the Alis found themselves sat in the living room of the Waseem's household.

They had gathered together to finalise the dates for the Nikah and the reception.

It was after hours of talking, discussing and negotiating that they had come to a conclusion that after Mariam's training that was in two months, the two will be getting married in September, just after Mariam's training ended.

Mr. And Mrs.Ali were pretty clear on that they didn't want anything,just Mariam. The thought of giving and taking dowry was beyond them.
Zeyad had strictly asked them to make  it very clear that no dowry would be accepted and that he insists on paying for everything.

Of course,Mr.Waseem was not having it. He wanted to give his daughter all that he could and planned on spending as much as it required and even more. After all,it was his favourite and youngest daughter's wedding.

"I understand Zeyad's thoughtfulness and kindness,but this is my daughter's wedding and I want it to be grand, and I too insist on paying. But knowing your son,I know he wouldn't let me pay for everything therefor,I suggest that we split." He had told Mr. Ali.

Thiswas all decided after they had spoken to Mariam and asked her what she wanted. Was she willing to marry Zeyad? Did she have any thoughts or queries?

Mariam was in her roon getting ready for bed one night,that her mother came to talk to her. She was reading one of her favourite novels when there was a knock on her door.

The door opened to reveal Tanzeem, "Mariam?"

"Yes ,Mummy?"

"You weren't asleep,were you?" Her mother asked.

"No,no,Mummy. I was just reading. What is it? Do you need something,should I warm up some milk for you?" Mariam fussed in her usual worrisome way. And all Tanzeem could do was smile.

"No,my baby. I just wanted to tell you that your father and I would like to speak with you."

"Okay......." Mariam said as she dragged the 'y'. "What is it?"

Tanzeem sighed before answering,"Marriage"

"Marriage?"

"Yes,Mariam. Your marriage. Zeyad's parents want it to happen as soon as possible,because they have to get back to Canada and well, Zahaan is too young so, they want you both married soon."

"Oh" was all Mariam could say.
"Okay,then. Let's go" she said and stood up to join her mother,who stood by her bedroom door.

The duo left Mariam's bedroom and went to Mr.Waseem's study.

Mr. Waseem was sat at his desk,reading some documents while drinking his night time black tea.

"Papa.." Marian called to get his attention,"You wanted to talk?"

"Ah,yes,yes. Please come in,have a seat"

Mariam waited for a few seconds before taking a seat on one of the love seats,while her mother took one across from her.

"So,Mariam. Your mother and I would like to know about your decision.
Do you want to marry Zeyad?" Omar asked but Mariam stayed motionless. She didn't know what to tell them.

Did she want to marry him? Did she want to get married at all?

"Do you want to get married at all?" Her father asked,as if hearing her thoughts.
"See,you don't have to if you don't want to. You kno-"