joining the fight

"What is that? Your tenth letter from that John Laurens?" Y/N asked as Peggy opened her letter from the soldier.

Peggy blushed. "No. It's only the eighth letter, Y/N."

Y/N collapsed on Peggy's bed, as the young girl in yellow read over her letter. Y/N rolled her eyes. "What do you two talk about, anyway? You seem so different."

Peggy tucked the letter away after she finished reading, and turned to Y/N. "We talk about everything. About his home back in South Carolina, about my family here. He tells me about how he wants to free all the slaves. We're not that different, him and I."

"You two are cute. I hope it ends well for you guys." Y/N said with a grin. "Does your father know about your relationship with John?"

Peggy froze and her expression suddenly turned serious. "Not yet. And he's not going to find out, Y/N, got that?"

"Yes, yes. Of course." Y/N nodded quickly, the sudden change in Peggy's expression scared her.

Peggy's features quickly softened as she saw she had scared Y/N. "Enough talk about John and I. How is Alexander? And what's going on between you and Lafayette?"

"Alexander's fine. It seems he's found his place in the war effort, but Eliza could tell you that. And nothing's really going on with Lafayette and I. Angelica really likes him, obviously. Alexander says he talks about me sometimes, but Angelica's been writing him aggressively." Y/N admitted with a shrug.

"That's too bad." Peggy said, "You two would be cute together. I honestly don't think this whole thing between him and Angelica will work out."

Peggy got up from her bed and retrieved a book from her small bookcase.

"What's that, Pegs?" Y/N asked, trying to see what book Peggy and pulled out. Peggy passed her the book. The cover still looked brand new.
Y/N raised an eyebrow at the title of the book.

A Medical Guide for Beginners

"This doesn't seem like your typical reading material, Peggy." Y/N said, flipping open the book and glancing over a diagram of the human bone structure.

Peggy nodded. "Just read it for me, Y/N, okay? I know this is a weird request, I promise I can explain why, just read it. For now, I think I need a small nap."

"Okay..." Y/N was thoroughly confused, but she took the book, and left Peggy's room. Peggy was up to something, Y/N was positive she'd tell her when she was ready.

•••

The next few days, Peggy kept supplying Y/N with medical books. Medicine in the Modern Age, Current Diagnosis & Treatment, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, you name it!

Peggy had a few pages marked. Most of them were centered around treatments for wounds and illnesses. Y/N could tell something was up with Peggy, and it was about to raise to the surface.

Y/N became more suspicious after she overheard a certain conversation between Peggy and Mr. Schuyler one evening, while the two were arguing in Mr. Schuyler's office.

"Peggy, that's ridiculous. And quite frankly, it's too dangerous for you." Philip Schuyler said firmly.

Peggy let out a huff. "I don't care father. I want to help! You get to all the time, but it's suddenly unreasonable when I want to?"

"You're a woman Margarita." Mr. Schuyler used her full name as if scolding a child. "There's no place for a woman at war, darling."