Obligations

A/N:
Date 6-8-17

Hey everyone! This chapter ended up being a bit longer than I wanted, but that's okay because I've had longer chapters.

Also, I had a hard time choosing the picture for this chapter because I was trying to choose a quote that went along with Adrian.

Here's the others that I was choosing from:

"Tough situations build strong people."

"Stay strong. Make them wonder how you're still smiling."

"True strength is being able to hold it together when everyone is expecting you to fall apart."

"I've never met a strong person with an easy past."

"You have to be at your strongest when you're feeling your weakest."

"You're allowed to scream. You're allowed to cry. But do not give up."

Word Count (including both author's notes in this chapter): 3222

--------------------------------------------------

Chapter 27: Obligations

"Selynn?" Adrian says in surprise as he opens his front door. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm so glad you're home! I need to talk to you." Selynn tells Adrian with a slight pleading in her voice.

"Why are your eyes bloodshot? Are you okay?" Adrian asks, stepping aside to allow Selynn to come inside.

"I'm fine. Kind of." Selynn hesitates when she steps past Adrian, wondering if she should just say what she needs to say or ease into the conversation first. Why is Adrian home anyway? He's supposed to be at school.

"But first," Selynn says as she follows Adrian to the kitchen. "What's up with you? Why are you home?"

Adrian runs a hand through his mused hair, moving away from Selynn to the fridge. "Do you want something to drink? I've got water, milk, orange juice..." Adrian asks, avoiding the question.

"I don't want anything, except for you to talk to me. I asked you a question, Adrian." Selynn states, suddenly wondering why she hasn't heard any updates from Adrian in days.

Adrian sits down empty handed at the table across from Selynn. Adrian laces his fingers together on the table and stares at his hands. "I just had a rough night and decided to take the day off. I was up late looking for Lucas, you know."

Selynn nods. She knew Adrian was searching for Lucas. "We know where he is. Lena's on her way-"

"I know. She texted me a few hours ago." Adrian interrupts before moving on to business. "Now why do you need to talk to me?" Adrian asks curiously.

Selynn sighs, suddenly realizing that this won't be the easiest thing to talk about. "I caught my parents talking about me. They told me some things about myself that... I just had no idea." Selynn's shoulders slump at the thought of being a monster.

Adrian thinks back to the day that Vanessa and Selynn asked him what they are. He told them that they're witches, but Adrian got a strange vibe from Selynn that was sort of familiar, but Adrian couldn't place it. This must be what this talk is about.