Chapter One- Exceeds Expectations

Part One:

Chapter One-

Exceeds Expectations 

Snape grimaced as he walked down the hallway to Dumbledore's office. He looked up at the griffin statue saying the new password. The griffin shook itself to life reveling a winding staircase. He walked up and opened the door to Dumbledore's office. Inside was a young witch no older than twenty three. He stopped dead in his tracks. She seemed different than any other witch he had seen before. There stood a tall light skinned woman standing there in front of Dumbledore looking straight at Snape. She had warm friendly brown eyes, a round face and full pink lips that were curled into a sweet smile. In her hands was a worn leather bound book with a thin suede strap wrapped around it, holding it closed. His cold eyes softened. She was actually smiling at him, he couldn't believe it.

"oh hello Severus. This young lady is Adriana Tramel. She will be your assistant for this year." he said.

Adriana moved some of her long black brown hair from her face looking nervous. Snape walked over to her looking at her carefully. He looked back over to Dumbledore.

"I have no need for an assistant.' he stated coldly.

"it's not your choice Severus." he replied calmly.

Adriana rolled her shoulders nervously.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Severus... Dumbledore has told me much about your prowess as a potion's master. I am skilled in potions as well if I do say so myself" she said looking up at him.

He looked down at her, a smug grin spread across his face.

"We'll see.." he said, his stoic monotone voice sending a slight shiver down her spine. He gave her a look of satisfaction, a slight half grin appeared on his face when he saw her shake slightly.

"well follow me..." he said after nothing was said. Dumbledore smiled at him. He motioned for him to come closer as to whisper something in his ear.

'Severus please give her a chance, she will exceed your expectations. Take care of her while she is here make her feel welcome.' he whispered.

Snape nodded and walked away.

"I will..." he said.

  He looked over his shoulder, nonverbally telling Adriana to follow him. He lead her down the halls and down to the dungeons where his classroom was. He walked over to a shelf grabbing a cauldron, placing it on an empty desk. He pulled out his wand and pointed it at the cauldron. 'aguamente!' he said. Water flowed from his wand, filling up the cauldron.

"I want you to make me three potions. I will be in my office, come see me when you're done. The ingredients are in that room over there." he said.

               He walked into his office leaving Adriana by herself. She let out a sigh, she grabbed the cauldron putting it on the burner. She pondered for a moment which potions to make. After about ten minutes she settled on a love potion for the first. She grabbed her ingredients setting them out on a table. She knew how to make the potion but decided it was best to do a double take at one of the potion books.

                She walked up to a cabinet where she thought the books were and opened it. Among some random ingredients was a beat up potions book, hidden behind a jar of rat spleens and a few vials of rattlesnake venom. She grabbed the dust covered book opening it carefully. The book crackled as she opened it, dust flew everywhere. She looked at the inside cover. 'Property of The Half Blood Prince' was written in a messy yet curvy elegant handwriting on the inside.