Chapter 24

"Are you all ready for your date tonight?" my mom asks me from the doorway of my room as I finish getting ready to go hang out with Johnny.

"Mom, it's not a date. Johnny and I are just friends."

"Well, a mother can hope."

"Yeah, well keep on hoping," I tell her with a smile as I finish putting on my earrings.

"He was always such a nice boy," my mom adds, trying to make a case for Johnny.

"I know that mom, but my heart is already taken."

"By who?" my mom inquires and I know there is no easy way to get around this, especially not with her of all people, but I'm going to try my hardest to skirt around it.

"Someone."

"Obviously," she responds with a roll of her eyes. "But who?"

"Can we please not talk about this right now? It's complicated and I just really don't want to get into it right now."

"Fine but eventually I'm going to get it out of you."

"I know you will, but not right now."

"When you're done getting ready come hang out with your dad and I," she tells me before leaving me alone. I grab my Converse and put them on before checking my purse and making sure it has everything I need. Once I see that everything is there, I head downstairs and make my way to the porch where my parents are sitting.

"You look beautiful, pumpkin," my dad compliments me as soon as he sees me, taking me by surprise. My outfit is far from deserving of a compliment, but my dad always goes out of his way to make me feel special no matter what I wear. Today was no exception even though I dressed down.

I decided to go super casual and put on a pair of jeans and my Hogwarts T-shirt and called it a day, but to my dad, I always look beautiful. Even on those occasions when I ugly cried in his arms, he still thought I was the prettiest thing alive. I honestly didn't see it, but my dad always saw in me what no one else did, and he has always loved me in spite of my flaws. To him, I am perfect, and will always be his little girl no matter how old I get.

"Thanks, dad. You always know how to make a girl feel special," I tell him with a big smile and sit between him and my mom on the porch swing.

"I try," he tells me with a wink and pats my leg. "Are you excited to hang out with Johnny again?"

"I am. It was really nice catching up with him last night."

"Well, I'm glad you two had a nice time."

"Do you know what you're going to do tonight?" my mom asks me and I shake my head.

"I don't have the slightest idea," I admit with a shrug of my shoulders.

"Well I'm sure wherever he takes you, you two will have a great time," my mom tells me, squeezing my hand.

"What are you two going to do?" I ask them and they just laugh.

"Who knows? We never really plan. We just do things on a whim," my mom admits.

"Well you two have fun, and don't do anything I wouldn't do," I tell them with a smile.

"We won't. We'll even try and go to bed early," my mom responds, making me laugh.

"Mom, we both know you're a night owl. That's not going to happen."

"No, I guess not. Well, whatever we do, we'll be out of your hair before you and Johnny get back in case you want to hang out on the porch and just talk."