Depression

This is kinda more of a short story than a poem, but I hope you guys enjoy! Also, I used pictures that I have saved on my iPod, so they will be italicized.
---------
One night, I decided to walk outside, for it was a nice night for walking. As I was walking along an old deserted road, I saw a young woman sitting on a bench, looking down and out in life. After a moment of consideration I decided to walk over to her and see what the matter was.
"Is everything alright...?" I asked her in a low voice.
She sniffled and shook her head sadly.
I sat down by her and asked, "well, why don't you tell me what's wrong."
Her voice was quiet but she told me her story. While telling her story, she told me her hopes and dreams. "And in my dreams, I meet the ghosts of all the people who have come and gone..." She then turned towards me and said quietly, "you know, depression changes you. I remember liking things. I just no longer remember why I liked them."
She sighed and put her head in her hands and didn't speak for awhile. Within that silence, I sat with her with what she has told me. She then spoke with her quiet voice that it was seemingly impossible to hear what she said. "I tried to be okay, but I ended up even worse. I forgive a lot, but I never forget what's said and done..." After awhile she continued to talk about what's happening in her life. She talks about her friends, school, and even her boyfriend. That's when I noticed something that I over looked. She had a ton of red scars across her bare arms.
I told her this: "You think he's what makes the sun shine, but darling, he's not. He's what makes your eyes tear and your cuts bleed. He's the thoughts in your head that rips you apart, and, my God, I know you love him but he's killing you."
She sniffled and I saw a small smile appear on her tear streaked face. "You know, we're all a little broken. But last time I checked, broken crayons color the same." Her smile faded a bit. "But it hurts like hell when you know that you need to let go of someone but you can't because you're still waiting for the impossible to happen." She shrugged her shoulders sadly as she replied softly, "but I'm used to it. I'm used to people leaving. I'm used to being alone. I'm used to having no one.... So just go, leave. I'm used to it anyway." Her small frame started to shake as she attempted to keep the sobs within her. I put my arms around her and pulled her into a hug. She then sobbed while saying, "I stopped being me such a long time ago I can't even remember who that was."
I leaned my head down towards her ear and whispered, "it's okay to cry. Crying is how your body speaks when your mouth can't explain the pain you feel." She sobbed for so long, I don't even know when she stopped and collected her composure.
After awhile, I spoke to break the silence. "There is nothing wrong with you. I know the monsters have been screaming at you for years; about all the ways your body doesn't fit into society. You destroy yourself, so everyone else can love you; not so you can love yourself. I know your mother keeps shaking you trying to figure out how you became so angry; so sad. She wonders why you can't just be happy. Why every demon that touches you, changes you. I know you remind yourself of all the reasons that everyone has left you; and you put all of the blame on your shoulders and it weighs you down. Stop letting it drown you; this pain of being a problem in everyone's life. There is nothing wrong with you." I looked at her dried, tear stained eyes and whispered, "I promise."
She sniffled again and said with a small smile upon her lips, "thanks for telling me that.... That's just what I needed to hear..." She gave me a hug, stood up, and walked away, still looking sad and broken, but a bit happier than before. A smile appeared on my face as I decided to walk home. While walking home, I thought about the girl I helped tonight. She's banged up. Mentally and emotionally. Literally and metaphorically. But every day she walks outside, with a smile on her face because that's who she is.