Chapter Thirty-Seven

Today was the big day. The day that my whole life would change. I was officially invested into the De Palma Family. My name was sure to be as big as my fathers in a few years. Santa Monica would basically be in the palm of my hands. I was going to have more power than a mayor and anybody in the city council. Santa Monica was my f-cking city. It was my job to protect my people, control the illegal activities that ranged from drug dealing to prostitution. All of that was in my f-cking hands. It was surreal and nerve wrecking. I could ruin this whole damn city if I wanted to. The cops weren't going do a damn thing. We paid them off fruitfully for leaving us alone and focusing on gangs with less power.

Here I was standing in front of thousands of people in the main clubhouse of the city. Members of the Family were spread all outside of the doors and in the yard cheering for me. I had never felt so f-cking powerful and Rafael hadn't even handed over the title to me yet. My stomach turned uneasily and I looked to my right to see Delaney. She had been acting a little weird today, but she gave me a reassuring smile. Maybe she was nervous too. I looked at Lin and Leo on my left, and saw Lin and Leo clapping and cheering along with everyone else.

In front of me was Rafael. We were on top of the stage in the bar area of the clubhouse. He had a microphone in front of him and he was waiting for everyone to stop cheering so he could give up the title. After a good five minutes of clapping, he finally got the crowd to calm down by clearing his throat.

"I stand up here on this stage with an extraordinary friend, leader and sometimes asshole." The crowd laughed and began cheering again. I laughed and Rafael looked back at me to shoot me a playful wink. "Seriously though, Andy is the perfect person for this job. She's the perfect person for any job in the Family. She's respectful, intelligent, charming and she plain out gets sh-t done. I don't know where I would be without her or where Santa Monica would be without her. She was still somehow pulling strings when Jimmy was here, but now she's officially going to be head honcho. I'm not going to give a long speech. I'm not even going to ask for a vote. We all know who deserves to be head honcho. So, everyone give it up for your new leader, Andy De Palma."

Once again, the crowd roared and I honestly couldn't believe it was for me. Rafael stepped away from the mic and motioned for me to come up to accept the title. Everything felt like a dream. This was how my father felt when he ran the Family but only a hundred times more flattered and powerful. He ran the whole Family and I only got a city but I was still grateful.

"I accept the position as head honcho with a humbled and grateful heart. We're more than a bunch of gangsters, we're a Family. My father built this gang with money on his mind but love in his heart. He wanted a gang different than the others during his time. He wanted unity. He brought all the Italians that beefed against each other together and recruited other nationalities, ethnicites and races into the Family as well. We're a melting pot. I look around this room and I see a rainbow of f-cking colors and loyal people. I won't be anything like Jimmy. I'm not going to change. I may have a new title but I'm still the same old Andy. I'm here for a drink, a smoke or a talk. I'll always be visible and unlike Jimmy, I want to consult you guys before making big decisions. A new era of the Santa Monica De Palma Family is starting. I hope you guys are ready and excited because I sure as hell am."

The applause got louder as I stepped away from the mic. There was nothing but love in the room and I couldn't spot an upset person in sight. Unlike Jimmy, everyone seemed to love me which was good. Hopefully, things could stay that way.

Later that night, my friends, Delaney and I had a small celebration at my place. Dinner was provided by my mother who congratulated me before leaving me to enjoy my night. We would have time actually celebrate together soon. Becoming a new position such as head honcho or a Don was huge in the Family. A big party was being planned for next weekend and every head honcho in California was supposed to be there and even the Don of California. My family was sure to show up and a bunch of old faces. It was going to be huge and it was going to be a good time to network.