six

Luke's POV

Good news, the basement has light.

Bad news, we are in the basement of a creepy as fuck house. Calum is unconscious. Clara's arm has a knife in it. Malia is hyperventilating and screams are echoing throughout the house.

So if you weigh out the good and the bad, the bad won by a long shot.

I try to stay calm to prevent the girls from panicking any more than they already are. Clara is crying her eyes out and blood is running down her arm, so it's a bit hard to keep calm.

"Luke, what do I do?!" She screams.

My hands shake as I run them through my hair nervously. "I don't know, Clara."

"Help me!" She cries.

I gingerly touch her arm and she winces. "I'm sorry." I tell her.

I inspect the wound. It's a small knife that isn't very deep so I could very well get it out of her arm without causing any more damage. The problem would be the blood though. I think the knife is keeping the majority of the blood in her body and removing it would allow it to run freely.

Malia begins to shake and sob next to me. "What the hell is happening? What the hell is happening?" She keeps repeating.

The screams echoing throughout the house have subsided and now they only sounds to be heard are our own cries.

I look once more at Clara's wound and try to think of a way to help her.

"Okay, Clara. This may hurt but it'll help you, alright?" I shrug my flannel of my body.

Clara nods, her sobs making her incapable of talking. My hand wraps around the small knife. I mentally count to three then slowly pull it out of her arm. Clara's sobs get louder.

I quickly place the knife on the floor and wrap my flannel around her wound to stop the bleeding.

"Shh," I rub my hand on her back. "It's going to be okay, Clara."

"We're gonna die, Luke! It's not going to be okay!" She sobs.

I place my arms around her in a comforting hug as she cradles her arm. She's sobbing along with Malia and Calum is still unconscious. I don't know what we've gotten ourselves into and I don't know how we're going to get out of it.

For the next hour or so, we sit in silence. The girls' sobbing has subsided and Calum's has begun to let out an occasional groan, signally that he is regaining consciousness.

I sit leaning against the cold wall with Clara's head leaning on one of my shoulders and Malia's head leaning on the other. My hands are placed in my lap and I stare ahead of me at the old, cracked concrete wall. I try to make sense of the whole situation we're in but I can't so I eventually just leave my mind blank. I find that it helps me not panic and think about the horrors that could be going on upstairs.

I've already tried to make my way back upstairs, just to find that the door on top of the basement staircase has been replaced in a matter of minutes. I don't know how but I would rather not think about that.

Calum lets out a louder groan and his hands moves to rub his head. He attempts to sit up but lets out a whimper and lays back down on the concrete floor.

"Guys?" He croaks out.

"We're here, Cal." I answer.

"My head hurts." He covers his face with his hands.

I smile sadly to myself. When he realizes where we are he's going to freak out, so I'll let him just focus on his hurt head for now. "Well you hit it pretty hard."

Calum goes quiet again. I watch him as he scoots his way across the floor and to one of the walls. He gets himself up so he is sitting with his back against the wall, his knees bent in front of him and his head resting in his hands.

It's silent for a fair amount of time. Either we're all too exhausted, too in shock, or a combination of both, to do anything other than think. Our thoughts are a scary place at this time though, so the silence torments us even more than our situation did.

"We're dead, Luke. We may be breathing but we're dead." Calum says eventually.

I squeeze my eyes shut. "I know."

"Are the girls asleep?" He asks.

I glance to both of my shoulder, where the girls were resting their heads. Their eyes were shut and their breathing was soft. "I guess so, we need to let them sleep though."

"Okay." Calum's voice cracks as he speaks.

I go back to staring at the wall in front of me. My eyes begin to sting and before I know it, tears are running down my face. I'm absolutely terrified. I'm absolutely terrified and I have no idea what to do. I couldn't think of anything we possibily could do. The basment door is locked, we don't know our way around the house and someone is up in the house who wants to hurt us.

I let out small gasps of air as I sob almost silently. Maybe I should be strong and find some ingenious way to get us out, but I can't. We're a hopeless case.

"Luke?" Calum's voice calls to me again.

"Hmm?" I respond, not being able to form an actually word.

"Is it okay if I cry? Or is that babyish?" His voice is soft and vulnerable. Calum's is beyond terrified as well as I am.

My voice cracks as I answer him. "I'm crying and we're going to die, so cry all you want."

He immediately lets out a chocked sob, like he has been trying to hold it in but now he is letting go of his emotions. I think it's a good thing that's he is crying. It doesn't make me feel so bad about the fact that I'm crying. We both know that we're the most scared we've ever been and crying is the natural reaction.

When the screaming starts again, I cry harder. There is screaming and laughter and footsteps and yelling, It sounds like it came straight from a blood and guts movie.

My body is shaking and I try to calm myself down but I can't. I try to block out the noises by covering my ears with my hands but I can't. I try to stop crying but I can't. I can't do anything. I am a completely useless and helpless human being.

So when the basement lights turn off, my panic only begins to rise.

~~~~~

boring chapter, oh.

i kinda needed this filler though bc i can't go from one thing to another without a transition, ya know? ((lol idek))

thanks to everyone supporting this story, ily guys