seven

Malia's POV

The second the lights go off my heart begins beating faster and my breathing quickens. I can feel myself beginning to hyperventilate again.

"Guys." I whimper. "What the hell is happening?"

"I don't know." Luke answers.

I hear noises from upstairs and I begin to panic. "What the hell is happening?!"

"I don't know!" Luke shouts. "Shut up and listen."

I stop talking but I can't stop my fast breathing. I try my best to take slow, deep breathes but I can't. I feel like I'm suffocating in this dark basement and I'm scared as hell.

Upstairs, I can hear footsteps. They aren't slow footsteps, they're fast. Like the people are running. There's thumps and pounds and I can't make sense of any of it.

Then the screaming starts again. Oh god, how I hate the screaming. I squeeze my eyes shut and cover my ears as an attempt to block out the sounds.

"Ashton!" I hear a voice over all the screams. "No, stop it!"

It gets harder for me to breathe and my eyes sting with tears.

"Ashton!"

There's more pounds and footsteps.

"Get off!" Another voice yells.

"Oh, shit." I hear Calum mutter under his breath.

Clara begins to cry quietly and I hear Luke choking up softly.

Then it all goes silent. The lights in the basement are still off and we're sitting in a cold, dark silence.

"Holy fuck." Luke breathes out.

I shake and bring my knees up to my chest. What did we do to deserve whatever this is? This is some sort of torture that I never imagined us being apart of.

I've never been a good thinker under pressure so now I'm utterly useless. I have no idea what the hell to do.

I hear someone shift their weight next to me and something slip out of their pocket.

Phones.

"Calum!" I yell.

"What?" He responds quickly.

"Your phone, your phone!" I start to get excited.

"It broke, Malia." He says sadly.

"Does anyone else have their phone?" I ask in the general direction I assume Luke and Clara are, considering I can't see.

"They died, and before they did I checked for service and there was none." Luke answers.

Tears spill out of my eyes again. I had a sliver of hope and now it's gone. We have no way to contact anyone.

"We can't just sit here." Clara finally speaks up.

"What do you mean?" Luke asks.

"We may be in a hell house and we may not have phones. But we can still do something. Right now we're completely useless to ourselves because we're sitting here in self pity." She tells us.

"I feel like you're the little inspirational voice in my head." I manage to joke.

"She's right though." Calum says. "Trying to do something is better than doing nothing at all."

They're both right. I've always made fun of the people in horror movies that just sit there and let themselves be killed. They were stupid and annoyed the hell out of me. And right now I'm acting exactly like them.