seventeen

Malia's POV

"How do you unlock the door?" I ask Carter quickly after hearing Calum and Luke outside.

"I'm not telling you." He scoffs.

"What the hell, dude? They're literally being shot at, we need to let them in." Clara yells.

"No." Carter says.

"Whatever." Grace mumbles and starts messing with the complicated lock on the door.

"Stop." Carter tells her.

"No." She snaps. "We need to help them."

More gun shots go off and a few literally go through the wood of the house. Grace continues messing with the locks and it sounds like she's almost got them unlocked.

"Don't open the door." Carter says.

"I'm going to."

"Don't!" He yells and before I even have time to register what's going on, Grave lets out a scream.

Carter has thrown a knife at Grace's hand. It plunges through her hand and into the door, pinning her hand to the door. Grace begins crying and hyperventilating.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god." She stares at her hand.

"What the fuck?" I yell at Carter.

"She can't open the door, we'll all get killed!"

Clara runs over to Grace and helps remove the knife from her hand but it doesn't stop the bleeding or the pain that I expect she feels in her hand right now.

"Let us open the door!" I scream at him as I'm messing with the locks, but he stays silent.

I hear yelling and groaning and gunshots from outside that makes my heart start pounding. My hands are shaking, which makes opening the door a little more difficult.

"Move, Malia." Clara comes next to me and shoves me out of the way. She grabs the chain of the door and yanks it down hard, bringing the lock down with it. Then she opens the door.

Calum and Luke fall inside the house, signaling they had been leaning against the door. I look outside to see a man hobbling slowly towards the house, obviously injured.

Clara and I help the boys inside the house then I shut the door and try to lock it again.

"You idiots!" Carter screams. "Now he can get in! Now he can get us!"

"Oh, shut the fuck up." Grace snaps.

Clara is searching around the room for something to help the boys. Luke doesn't look as bad as Calum does. Luke is bleeding from a few wounds in his shoulder and a wound in his arm. Calum is bleeding from both his hands, his side, two wounds in his legs, and his arm.

I quickly help Clara search for something to help them. I find a piece of cloth and I dunk it into a bucket of whatever I find then rush over to Calum.

His breathing is erratic and sobs escape his lips every so often. His eyes are clenched shut in pain and his face is a ghostly pale.

"Shh." I try to calm him down. "You're okay, Cal. We got you, you're okay."

I begin to clean up the enormous amount of blood that is all around his body and I be careful not to press down on his wounds. I press a hand to his forehead and it's burning up so I find another cloth, dip it in water then place it on his forehead as an attempt to cool him down.

Calum starts coughing and little bits of blood drip from his mouth and I start to panic. "No, no, no, no." I mutter. "Blood is supposed to stay in the body."

"Malia?" He croaks out in between coughs.

"Yea?" I respond as Grace crouches down to help me out with Calum as well.

"I'm going to die, aren't I?" He asks, his eyes shut.

"I'm doing everything in my power to make sure you don't." I tell him.

I look over at Luke to see Clara helping him stand up from his place on the floor. His few wounds have been cleaned up by Clara and now she's helping us out with Calum.

Carter is running around the small house, shoving things into a bag he has. He isn't even paying attention to the dying boy on his floor. That bastard.

The door begins to rattle and we all freeze up. I can hear the man yelling and pounding on the door, trying to get in.

"There's a back door." Carter announces. "If you're smart enough then leave the dying boy and save yourself." He gives us simple wave before opening the other door and leaving.

"I can't leave Calum." I say.

"No, Malia. Leave." He mumbles.

"I can't." I tell him, tears running down my face.

"You guys go." I say to the Luke, Clara and Grace.

"What? No." Luke says.

"Go." I try to convince them in between my sobs.

The door swings open and bullets are shot everywhere. The man has two guns, one in each hand, and he's shooting off like crazy.

Everyone screams and I feel blinding pain all around my body. My vision blurs and I begin to feel light headed. My body collapses to the ground but I can make out a group of people running out of the house with the man chasing them, bullets flying all around.

I can hear all the sounds fading out as it goes further and further away, my friends being chased by the madman deeper into the woods. Calum and I are laying next to each other on the floor, both of us bleeding from new wounds. It's hard for me to catch my breath because of a mixture of sobs from pain and sobs from panic.

"C-Calum?" I mutter.

"Yea?" He whispers.

"I'm scared."

"Me too."

I feel him grab my hand and intertwine our fingers as we lay there. Both of us are breathing hard and now our sobs are coming slowly to a stop. I feel my body getting weak and Calum's hand is slowly relaxing.

"Love ya, Malia."

"Love ya, Cal."

Our voices are barely audible but we can hear each other because we are laying on inches away. Breathing becomes more difficult for me and I struggle to get oxygen into my lungs. I wheeze and cough and when I feel Calum's hand go limp, I stop trying and I let myself fall into deep darkness.

~~~~~

so i kinda teared up writing that last part