14 . the scare

1 4

When Draco got to work the next morning, he could immediately tell something was wrong. He passed the group of people talking in hushed voices and made his way to his office. Theo and Noah were sitting inside when he got there, talking quietly.

"What's going on?" Draco asked slowly.

"Another victim," Theo said gravely. "Remember the people that were under the Imperius curse?"

"I thought those stopped," Draco said, taking a seat in his chair. There hadn't been a victim for around a month.

"So did we," Noah said, shaking his head. "But this time... it wasn't just a joke. This was serious."

"What happened?" 

"The victim, Jack Shaw... he's dead."

Draco frowned, an uneasy feeling sweeping through him. "How did he die?"

"We don't know. But it was definitely the works of an Imperius curse."

Draco didn't say anything, looking up to Theo who was also at a loss of words. Noah stood up, making his way to the door. "You two - get to work. I suspect the Minister will be talking to all of the Heads. I'll be busy these next few days." 

He left, closing the door behind him. Draco looked at Theo. "What do you reckon?" Theo said seriously.

"I don't know. But whoever is doing this has a reason. That's for sure."

---

Draco walked through the Ministry halls later that day, when he felt a hand on his shoulder. 

"Malfoy."

Turning around, Draco was shocked to come face to face with Ron, a worried expression etched on his face. 

"Weasley? What are - "

"Have you seen Hermione?" Ron asked, interrupting him.

"No. Shouldn't she be here at work?"

"She should. But she's not, and I'm starting to get worried," Ron said, running his fingers through his ginger hair.

"Well, where did you see her last?" Draco asked, his heartbeat increasing. The note that the Chief had sent him flashed through his mind. Try a similar stunt again and your girlfriend won't be there to nurse you back to health.

"She was there in the morning when I left for work. She told me she would see me here... I usually leave for work before she does. I went by her office a few minutes ago and she wasn't there. Her boss says she never showed." Ron took a deep breath. "Something's wrong, Malfoy."

"Why do you think I would know where she is?" Draco asked slowly. 

"I just heard from Harry that you and her and best mates. I thought she might have told you where she went."

Draco was about to counter that statement when Harry showed up, hurrying up to them. "I couldn't find her." He said shakily.  "Looked everywhere I could think of, including that coffee place she loves."

Draco took a deep breath. "She wouldn't just leave like this. We should go to her place."

"Our place," Ron said, grimly. He looked at Harry. "Tell Kinglsey where we're going. I think he was going to talk to us about the Imperius curse case, but this is more important."

"One step ahead of you. I already told him. Let's go."

---

Draco wasn't sure what to expect when they got there, but seeing the door half open made him stop. Harry and Ron stopped too, glancing at each other.