𝟎𝟑. 𝐊𝐎𝐋

(CHAPTER THREE : KOL)

(CHAPTER THREE :
KOL)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

IMMEDIATELY, EVERYBODY GATHERED THAT tonight would be an insufferable, tedious evening. From the minute Elijah Mikaelson greeted the three of us at the door, it was clear. Whether that was due to Stefan Salvatore's intensive, ever-present frown lines, Damon's wretched stench of Bourbon overpowering the air or my dense scowl, I was unsure.

"Niklaus, our guests have arrived." Elijah called to his brother when none of us dared to break the stiff silence that had fallen upon us all. In the air, only the sound of my heels scuffing against the floor could be heard. It wasn't an anxious shuffling of feet, it was an awkward one that sought out to fill the void of noise. To me, silence was unbearable.

Arrogance radiated off of Klaus Mikaelson's physique as he strutted into the room, his signature eerie smirk present—as always. "Damon, Stefan, Elijah tells me you seek an audience. Very bold. Let's discuss the terms of our agreement like civilized men, shall we?" Then, his button eyes flickered to me, creasing in confusion. Leaning forward slightly, he scrutinised me, every inch of my body. "I wasn't aware that the invite had got extended to Charlotte, but it is a delightful surprise. Always a pleasure, love." The Original smoothly disguised his surprise at my unexpected appearance.

"Pity I can't say the same." I responded sharply, purposely bumping shoulders with the older vampire as I went to swiftly take a seat at the extended dining table.

Idle chatter and insults were passed between the boys, each one more juvenile than the last. Unable to feign attentiveness for another unendurable moment, my heedful gaze found it lingering on the ignited fireplace, my mind drifting back to a similar scenario from my human life.

✧࿐ ཾ✧

PORTLAND, OREGON [1907]

I straightened out my posture, mentally racking through every lesson of etiquette that I had been taught. Over time every rule blurred together, not that I could ever admit that though. My Mother had prodded me and shaped me to be a proper young lady, someone she could be proud of. It was out of the question to not be absolutely perfect—reputation was everything to my family.

"Good afternoon, Mother, Father." I greeted curtly, flashing my parents a charming smile. "I've finished setting all the places, as requested, but I must ask did I have to set five places set? Perhaps we are having guests over?" I continued with curiosity creeping into my voice, I ensured that my curiosity was purely innocent wonder though. I would not have wanted to impose by forcing an answer from my parents or appear rude.

Both Mother and Father had some form of unspoken conversation with their eyes. In fact, my Mother always used to insist that a person's eyes were their window to their soul and could say more than words ever could. I truly stood by her on that, eyes could be a form of communication—she knew that better than anybody. I attempted to decipher what both of them were trying to communicate to the other, however I huffed in defeat. I had was clueless as to what they were saying to the other, nor if I was correct in assuming we were having guests over.