𝟐𝟑. 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄?

(CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE : WHERE IS THE LOVE?)

WHERE IS THE LOVE?)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

KLAUS MIKAELSON WAS BEING revived and I had to run. In spite of my hopeless pleas, Elena Gilbert agreed to return the Original's body to his family. In sixty years at most, he would be brought back once Elena lived her dream life. So, I had to run. I intended to leave tonight and live out a decade of euphoria alongside Kol before becoming untraceable. I would change my name, relocate and settle into a new life. By the time Klaus was awake, I would have already nestled into a secure place — he wouldn't expect me to utilise the head start. I would be protected.

"What are you doing?" Jeremy demanded, spotting my retreating frame. He was meant to be phoning Alaric and laying out the bait, which should have provided me with enough time to slip away undetected. Alas, he had other plans.

I stiffened. "I just wanted to get some fresh air, it's suffocating in there." I inclined my head towards the kitchen where the rest of the group were plotting.

He wasn't convinced. "You had a century of experience, I thought you would be a better liar." Jeremy claimed pointedly. More often than not, I spoke my mind and that made me a terrible liar. Sometimes, I would blurt out the truth or the first thing I thought, no matter the consequences. In the past, I was condemned to polite silence and since being a vampire, I became vocal in defiance.

"I was going to come back to help with the plan, but..." I started, wanting to soften the blow. "I'm going to my apartment to pack." I lowered my voice, hoping he wouldn't hear it. Of course, he did hear it.

"Pack?" He echoed, his tone a mixture of curiosity and concern. Although, he was wise to be concerned given I had a rather unappealing track record of leaving without prior notice.

I pursed my lips. "Yeah, pack." I confirmed. "I'm leaving Mystic Falls. Klaus and I didn't end on good terms, I'll need to run soon and I want to make the most of the time I have left not hiding in the shadows." I confessed, a sour twinge in my voice. "Even if I didn't have to run, I wouldn't stay here. This town is full of drama and death, I refuse to waste another day putting my life on the line for your sister — especially since she's the one who signed my death sentence." I expressed my distaste towards his sibling. Repeatedly, I tried with her for the sake of our friendship — and to a lesser extent, Damon — but she could be startlingly selfish. After Elijah left, I begged the teenager to retract her deal for my peace of mind, but she was unmoving.

"When was this decided?" Jeremy pressed his chest up against mine, taking my breath away in the most undesirable way.

"Since Denver." I replied. "I realised that living here comes with too many sacrifices, too many burdens." I told him, my voice soft. For some inexplicable reason, I noted the embers of danger shining in his eyes. Of course — if he got too brave — I would be the victor as the superior species.