𝟎𝟕. 𝐒𝐈𝐗 𝐌𝐈𝐍𝐔𝐓𝐄𝐒

(CHAPTER SEVEN : SIX MINUTES)

(CHAPTER SEVEN :
SIX MINUTES)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

DEPLORABLY, THE WALLS I'D built out of the broken shards of my heart already began to crumble after two conversations with Kol Mikaelson. I never intended to be weak—it just happened. It was difficult to remain strong when we had an unforgettable love. Trust me, even when I didn't have my memories, snippets of my past haunted me. Our love was an all-consuming whirlwind that exhausted every fibre of my being day in and day out. Due to that, it was easy to find my barriers cracking when the romance had always been second nature to me. Until I programmed myself to no longer love the man, I had to be particularly careful around the stubborn vampire.

"Kol," I mumbled, untangling our looped arms as I created distance between us. "Kol. I agreed to one dance and it's over now. Six minutes of you was plenty for me." I informed me, perhaps a little too snarky. Naturally, I wanted him to understand that I wasn't prepared to enter a relationship with him after how we left things. But, I immediately regretted choosing to use snide remarks to deliver my message after I noticed how the Original's genuine smile twisted into a smirk. Although that was never my goal, I hurt him. Not being one to love often, rejection stung all the more for him.

"If I knew I was being timed, I wouldn't have chosen to dance. I think the two of us could have done something a lot more productive in six minutes." He snipped back, his voice sharp and clipped when he raised a suggestive eyebrow in my direction.

Wrinkling my nose in disgust, I shoved the man out of my way. His obnoxious attitude certainly made it all that easier to be leave him lonely on the dance floor. All my previous feelings of sympathy dissolved into the air at once. To think I almost let my guard down again. Constantly, I had to remind myself that this was the same person that had left me a shadow of my former self a century ago. As a consequence of his puzzling break up letter, I lost myself that day and it took all this time for me to become comfortable with new—and not so improved—version of Charlotte Hatton. I couldn't let him take who I currently was away from me too.

Kol blew out his cheeks, agitated that I marched away from him. "Oh, come on now, darling——" He pleaded, but I had already gone.

✧࿐ ཾ✧

Excruciating. It was excruciating to watch the traditional clock that hung above my head tick tick tick. Forty more minutes, I promised myself. In forty minutes, it would be a reasonable time to return home and none of my friends would interrogate me on my departure then. Until then, I had to find some form of entertainment. Disappointingly, my options for amusement were rather slim. Like a moth drawn to a flame, I couldn't help but find myself swarming near Kol—of who was in a deep conversation with his sister, Rebekah.