𝟏𝟑. 𝐑𝐔𝐈𝐍

(CHAPTER THIRTEEN : RUIN)

(CHAPTER THIRTEEN :
RUIN)

✧࿐ ཾ✧

'SCARY MARY' HAD NEVER been such an appropriate nickname until now. With good reason, the title had been attached Mary Porter over time for her ominous ways — nobody could figure out the complexity of the woman's craziness. If that was not warning enough, the door had a creek, one that would make somebody yell at the protagonist to turn around. Then, there was the dim light, the kind that created the worst sort of my mystery. Even if I were to discard the cobwebs and dust, the house, her, all of it, left my stomach clenched. Above all, I prided myself on my impeccable instincts and right now, I was told that Antarctica would be too close to this woman.

"I mean, it's better than the motel." I chirped, the tension in the air tight and thick. "If you open up the space more and have a little more colour, I don't know, everywhere, then I think this could be extremely cosy." I rambled, unable to tolerate silence. However, both parties sent me the signature 'shut up' glare.

Damon released a breathy laugh, refreshed by my techniques of avoiding his romantic quest with Elena. "Mmm, more like Vampire Hoarders." He corrected.

I ignored his concentrated gaze, instead opting to shine my torch around the space. "So, who is this Mary person?" I questioned casually, shedding some light on certain areas around the room.

"Scary Mary." He repeated the nickname I heard in the air once or twice. "She's super old, really creepy." The Salvatore nonchalantly continued.

"And how do you know her?"

Elena spoke up. Not that it surprised me, the jealousy was detectable in her words, no doubt due to her complicated relationship with the elder vampire. I didn't even know where they stood, there was a certain sense of seclusion surrounding their status. On the other hand, I knew she hadn't cut off ties with Stefan and I wanted to support Damon — he was my best friend — but hated that his brother had to be hurt in the process. As confused as I was, I could tell that the lust was there, at least, because of their 'little more than a kiss' earlier. Nobody needed enhanced hearing for that.

"I dated her." He responded, predictable as ever. Sometimes, the Gilbert held him to a high standard when both of us knew that he would have sex with anybody with a pulse, without one in some cases.

Undoubtedly, she was hurt, but played off the feeling by rolling her brown eyes. "Of course." She murmured.

"What?" Damon snapped, a part of him content he managed to get under the skin of his brother's girlfriend. "I said creepy, not ugly." He reiterated to defend himself, the smug expression permanently placed on his face.

'BANG' could be heard, preventing their miniature argument from escalating further. The piercing noise had came from the room ahead, all of us had our eyes zoned in on the distance, our bodies shifting in anticipation as we waited to see who would lead the investigation. When neither took the lead, I walked forward, Damon pursuing me after ensuring the brunette was sandwiched in the safest position — between the two of us. Elena had her torch to guide us, but I was forced to pluck my own out again when I noted the shakiness of the light. All three of us were on edge, I just concealed my panic better.